Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pilot Brewery  (Read 19483 times)

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
Pilot Brewery
« on: October 07, 2011, 06:12:01 pm »
Here's Phase One of our quest of going pro.  

We needed a walk in cooler for our fermenters and for our grain storage.  We decided to go with an 8' x 8' cooler framed with 2x4's and covered with plywood.

Each 4x8 section once assembled was covered in mylar bubblewrap insulation, similar to the carboy wraps.  Once all the sections were assembled all of the seams were covered with aluminized tape on the inside and carpenter in a can on the outside.

The whole thing is kept cool by a modular 10,000 btu AC unit that we got a Lowes.  This keeps it at a nice 60 degrees without overstressing the unit.  Currently we have five 15 gallons plastic conical induction tanks and about 400 lbs of grain inside.

For our brew system we of course use The Great Northwestern Brew Baron.

Our Mill, a 2 roller Barley Crusher, with the ability to run a 3/8 Drill.  The Barley Crusher is attached to the lid of our grain bucket for minimal dust.

Our workspace.

Not pictured are the two cabinet freezers (one for cold crashing and lagering, the other for bottle storage) and a chest freezer (keg storage) each on their own temp controller.  We also have an area for bottling and filling pigs.  Some of the other stuff that I've built since we started but don't have pictures of is a dual Corney Keg washer which doubles for cleaning out the Mash Tun and Kettle, a basin sink out of a 55 gal poly drum, and various re designs to the Brew Baron.
All together with the cost of the Brew Baron, the walk in cooler, and all the other ancillary stuff you're looking at $5,000+
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 01:55:21 am by Gribble »
Low Mo Brewing Company
Industrial Grade Beer Brewed For Professionals

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Pilot Brewery
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 09:21:40 am »
Pretty pimpin', dude.  Who is 'we' in this situation?  You and a friend? 
Jesse

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 09:44:09 am »
Pretty pimpin', dude.  Who is 'we' in this situation?  You and a friend? 

perhaps the Royal We. it is a brew baron after all! ;D
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 10:54:42 am »
We is me and my assistant brewer/ business partner
Low Mo Brewing Company

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 07:09:44 pm »
Well right on then, man.  Good luck with the new brewhouse.
Jesse

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 10:47:27 am »
Can you tell me more about those 15 gal plastics?  Who makes them, where did you get them etc.
Thanks

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 12:00:32 pm »
Can you tell me more about those 15 gal plastics?  Who makes them, where did you get them etc.
Thanks
Found this in a google search... free shipping... http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-Gallon-Mini-Brew-Conical-Fermenter-Beer-and-Wine-Fermenter-Today-Only-Sale-/251021126158?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a72066a0e
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 08:15:17 am »
Thanks
Found this in a google search... free shipping... http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-Gallon-Mini-Brew-Conical-Fermenter-Beer-and-Wine-Fermenter-Today-Only-Sale-/251021126158?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a72066a0e

I wonder what the O2 permeability is on these? Better/worse than better bottles? I'm thinking about using one for a wild solera...
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 08:59:06 am »
Thanks

I wonder what the O2 permeability is on these? Better/worse than better bottles? I'm thinking about using one for a wild solera...

for a solera project I would think you would want some o2 permeability as some of those bugs need o2 to thrive.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 09:43:24 am »
for a solera project I would think you would want some o2 permeability as some of those bugs need o2 to thrive.

I would be worried about build up of acetobacter since its never really emptied/cleaned. Maybe you just pull from it until the acetic character gets too high and then start over?

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 10:03:52 pm »
The 15g Conicals were purchased from TankDepot.com http://www.tank-depot.com/productdetails.aspx?part=A-INFD15-19  the racking valve is from LD Carlson the whole setup cost around $225.  I have never had a problem with o2 permeability.  They are MDPE and around 1/8" thick.  I use standard pvc valving in the bottom to go down to a 1" ball valve.  The racking valve is 1/2" OD which is great for racking with a 1/2" tube going to a 1/2" swivel fitting to my liquid ball lock QD. 
Low Mo Brewing Company

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 09:53:58 am »

I would be worried about build up of acetobacter since its never really emptied/cleaned. Maybe you just pull from it until the acetic character gets too high and then make vinegar?

Fixed 8)
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 10:00:51 am »

I would be worried about build up of acetobacter since its never really emptied/cleaned. Maybe you just pull from it until the acetic character gets too high and then start over?

1Vertical has made some amazing solera beers that are at least a couple years old. In the one I tasted any acetic character was just right. I think that's kind of the point with a solera project. to see how the barrel evolves.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 07:21:51 am »

1Vertical has made some amazing solera beers that are at least a couple years old. In the one I tasted any acetic character was just right. I think that's kind of the point with a solera project. to see how the barrel evolves.

I'm glad this got brought back up - I'm working the kinks out of a process using a plastic bucket as a "Homebrew Horny Tank" - using the bucket to inoculating new batches while letting in a bit of oxygen. The bottom valve on the plastic conical would be helpful so I could transfer out the trub with each batch, rather than having it accumulate in the bucket.

Submitted this project (along with other sour culture techniques) as a seminar topic to NHC. If its not picked to present, I should at least have some samples/cultures to share!