Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brutus Ten Pressure question  (Read 5766 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
Brutus Ten Pressure question
« on: January 26, 2013, 05:39:03 pm »
I'm rounding up components for an upcoming brutus ten-like structure.   I've contacted a welder about the gas beam and he seems pretty excited about the project.  My question is about high versus low pressure.  I'm going to be using banjo BG14 burners (had one on hand, the other two arrived today).  These are sold as high pressure burners but could be converted it seems to low pressure?? (My research seems to say this is possible).  I like the control that high pressure affords with an adjustable regulator which I will likely purchase.  Is there any benefit to low pressure over high?  I am having a hard time finding tubing for a high pressure system.  The stuff at Home Depot/lowes that would be so incredibly convenient only is for low pressure.  I'm headed to an industrial hose supply store Monday to see if they can help.  Any suggestions?

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
Re: Brutus Ten Pressure question
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 01:32:36 pm »
I found this answer on another forum.  I have taken a KAB4 Banjo Burner, screwed a NG (low pressure) orifice into it, and it functioned just fine.  So the following stands to reason:

High pressure systems are usually above 1/2 PSI and up to 30 PSI as found in most of the portable cookers and fryers. This is an easy and cheap way to go for the makers of the cookers as the higher the gas pressure the greater the heat delivery for a given size burner. The common heating system gas valves are not usable at these pressures and there are no conversion parts to make them safely operate at greater than 1/2 PSI. The main option for safe burner operation at high pressure is to use 2 solenoid valves per burner and an electric ignition control module that lights pilot burner and turns off gas if pilot goes out to prevent explosion.

Low pressure systems have 2 pressure standards in use, 11" WC(water column) for propane systems, and 4" WC for residential Natural Gas systems. The gas furnace valves with standing pilots can be used on brew rigs for burner control instead of 2 solenoid valves with ignition module, and the cost is usually only 25% more than a single solenoid valve. For those that want the bling factor of electric ignition there are suitable gas furnace valves and igntion modules, or the 2 solenoid valves, 1 ignition module method.

Most of the gas burners popular in homebrewing can be operated at either high or low pressure if the correct gas jet is used, as stated before more pressure gives more fire with same size burner. While the multijet burners have their uses you need to know that the multijet burners are only happy at or near wide open and are sometimes used under the HLT. The 10" Banjo/Hurricane burners are able to operate over a wide range of settings and are usually used where flame adjustment is important like MLT and boil kettle applications.

Solenoids for burner control should be able to operate from 0 - 100 PSI as the solenoids that operate at 5 PSI - 100 PSI require at least 5 PSI pressure just to open, if used on low pressure they will not work. The popular solenoid valves in use on the brew rigs are the STC 2W160's as they are more reasonably priced than the equivalent ASCO valves. If you are going the solenoid valves and ignition module control route, the solenoids need to have coils built for 24 VAC to work with the ignition module.
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!