General Category > Pimp My System

Pilot Brewery

<< < (3/3)

Gribble:
The 15g Conicals were purchased from TankDepot.com http://www.tank-depot.com/productdetails.aspx?part=A-INFD15-19  the racking valve is from LD Carlson the whole setup cost around $225.  I have never had a problem with o2 permeability.  They are MDPE and around 1/8" thick.  I use standard pvc valving in the bottom to go down to a 1" ball valve.  The racking valve is 1/2" OD which is great for racking with a 1/2" tube going to a 1/2" swivel fitting to my liquid ball lock QD. 

redbeerman:

--- Quote from: kylekohlmorgen on July 10, 2012, 08:43:24 AM ---
--- Quote from: morticaixavier on July 06, 2012, 07:59:06 AM ---for a solera project I would think you would want some o2 permeability as some of those bugs need o2 to thrive.

--- End quote ---

I would be worried about build up of acetobacter since its never really emptied/cleaned. Maybe you just pull from it until the acetic character gets too high and then make vinegar?

--- End quote ---

Fixed 8)

morticaixavier:

--- Quote from: morticaixavier on July 06, 2012, 07:59:06 AM ---for a solera project I would think you would want some o2 permeability as some of those bugs need o2 to thrive.

--- End quote ---

I would be worried about build up of acetobacter since its never really emptied/cleaned. Maybe you just pull from it until the acetic character gets too high and then start over?

--- End quote ---

1Vertical has made some amazing solera beers that are at least a couple years old. In the one I tasted any acetic character was just right. I think that's kind of the point with a solera project. to see how the barrel evolves.

kylekohlmorgen:

--- Quote from: morticaixavier on January 08, 2013, 10:00:51 AM ---

--- End quote ---

I would be worried about build up of acetobacter since its never really emptied/cleaned. Maybe you just pull from it until the acetic character gets too high and then start over?

--- End quote ---

1Vertical has made some amazing solera beers that are at least a couple years old. In the one I tasted any acetic character was just right. I think that's kind of the point with a solera project. to see how the barrel evolves.

--- End quote ---

I'm glad this got brought back up - I'm working the kinks out of a process using a plastic bucket as a "Homebrew Horny Tank" - using the bucket to inoculating new batches while letting in a bit of oxygen. The bottom valve on the plastic conical would be helpful so I could transfer out the trub with each batch, rather than having it accumulate in the bucket.

Submitted this project (along with other sour culture techniques) as a seminar topic to NHC. If its not picked to present, I should at least have some samples/cultures to share!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version