Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Old Speckled Hen  (Read 6333 times)

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
Old Speckled Hen
« on: October 09, 2011, 08:48:56 pm »
Dang since 1711,,,, long time to perfect the brew.
and I gotta say it is a Malty Good one at that.

Edit: Tall Boy 4pack Cans with nitro widget

What say you?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 09:26:03 pm by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Old Speckled Hen
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 12:34:24 am »
I say for some reason the hole-in-the-wall liquor store by my house has/had it and I bought some. They don't carry much beer and what it is isn't good. But the Old Speckled Hen is a decent ale.

Reddish and malty. Not much in the way of hops though. More like Boddingtons in that respect and a nice head.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 03:30:31 pm »
For a long time speckled hen was one of my occasional favorite beers.  After I got more seriously into beer, I realized it was probably more of a B/B- level beer than I had originally thought.  It is still quite tasty and isn't to be scoffed at.  Hopefully someday I'll get to taste it fresh and at the source and see how it compares to what we get in the states.

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 12:53:48 pm »
It's also a long time to brew an average beer from a brewery (Greene King) who took over the original brewery (Moreland).  OSH is an ok, old fashioned malty beer, drunk by the last few old CAMRA drinkers here in the UK.  It will stick around as long as it is still delivered world wide.  I had it for the first time in Japan, back in 2002.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 01:20:52 pm »
I have a couple of the 4-packs of nitro cans i picked up in OK last month but forgot all about them.  It's OSH time folks.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 04:25:55 pm »
I have a couple of the 4-packs of nitro cans i picked up in OK last month but forgot all about them.  It's OSH time folks.

honestly, I think I've only ever had it in bottles.  I used to buy the 16.9oz bottles (I think, smaller than a bomber for sure).  The six packs are available near my mom's house and both sizes come in clear bottles.  I can't help but think they might not be as fresh as they would be near the source.  I will have to get a sixer of the nitro cans next time I am in an area that has them so I can test the difference.  It's a fine brew, even if not A quality, so i can hardly go wrong either way.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 04:47:32 pm »
First had it in the bottle in the states.  Had a caramel candy sweetness that said pasturised/oxidized, but others I know like that.  Then had it in a pub in London on cask.  A much better beer that was good in a malty way.  Not what I seek out in the UK, but not a bad beer if that is the best on cask.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 06:08:37 pm »
First had it in the bottle in the states.  Had a caramel candy sweetness that said pasturised/oxidized, but others I know like that.  Then had it in a pub in London on cask.  A much better beer that was good in a malty way.  Not what I seek out in the UK, but not a bad beer if that is the best on cask.
I had it on cask at a pub in London in spite of the warning from the publican: "it's really strong - 4.8%!"  Turns out the cask had gone bad and was significantly sour.  Perhaps his warning should have been heeded. 
The pint I remember having just before this was one of the best ever, fresh, local Fullers London Pride.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 06:57:00 pm »
I had it on cask at a pub in London in spite of the warning from the publican: "it's really strong - 4.8%!"  Turns out the cask had gone bad and was significantly sour.  Perhaps his warning should have been heeded. 
The pint I remember having just before this was one of the best ever, fresh, local Fullers London Pride.
I have had a sourish Fullers ESB at the Mawsons Arms a few years back.  That is the bewery pub.  Last August they had the ESB on in the Hock Cellar (where you go after the tour), and it was a really great malty beer, none of the caramel/candy sweetness that we get in the US.   
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 01:37:00 pm »
I live in the town that is the source, Greene King Brewery in Bury St Edmunds.  It is readily available at most pubs and quite honestly, the only people who drink it are old, bearded English guys and Americans (typically us Air Force types) as it is recognisable from the numerous other countries we have been stationed in that carry it both on draught, can and bottle.  I first saw it in Japan and soon found out that it is fairly run of the mill once I got here.  I am not saying it is bad, just not all that great.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 01:44:29 pm »
Especially when you can get Adnams on cask in the same neighborhood, eh?
I visited Bury St. Edmunds a few years ago.  Cute little town with a nice park and a big brewery as I recall.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 02:09:31 pm »
Especially when you can get Adnams on cask in the same neighborhood, eh?
I visited Bury St. Edmunds a few years ago.  Cute little town with a nice park and a big brewery as I recall.

Three breweries in town and yes to the Adnams.  We have Adnams Old Ale on at the pub and is a nice seasonal ale.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 08:58:56 pm »
I only had it once very recently from a can as pictured above.  Nothing going on in this beer to my taste.  Almost poured it out.  Oh well.

Offline anje

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lafayette, IN
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 08:56:21 am »
It's been a while since I've had it, but I think it's decent.  Not something to get hugely excited over, but pleasant.  We have a local IRISH!!!11!!! pub (if you didn't know how to interpret that, they're very in-your-face with the fake-irish thing) that has it on draft. 

The clone of it seemed good to start with, when I was worrying about how long it would take to finish 5 gallons of beer and whether I would be able to recruit enough friends to help.  Broad appeal basic beer, compared to IPAs and the like which have a more selective, experienced audience.  However, I'm getting the feeling that going through beer won't be a problem, especially in a portable format.
<-- microbiologist brewster n00b.

Hops and toothpaste don't mix.

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 11:31:00 am »
I was chowing down on its younger brother, "Old Golden Hen" this weekend at a pub in London.  From the cask, weighing in at 4%, I'd have pegged it as an English IPA but its apparently targeted as a blonde ale.  Lots of Galaxy hops in the finish, and really quite nice as a session beer.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:52:31 am by rjharper »