Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Saison for a competition  (Read 1367 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Saison for a competition
« on: October 11, 2011, 05:31:10 pm »
Just want to clarify.  I have a saison with coriander, ginger, peppercorns and grapefruit zest that I'm going to enter into a competition.  Saison as a style 16C can have spices right?  Or do I need to put this into the spiced beer category?  As I read the guidelines spices are fine in a saison but I wanted to double check.

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
Re: Saison for a competition
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 05:55:45 pm »
Herbs and spices are fine
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 03:21:50 am »
Spices can go in a Saison, but they should be part of the overall beer profile and not stand out on their own. As a judge if I could pick out a certain one I would consider that a flaw.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline tankdeer

• Brewer
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 01:48:10 pm »
Spices can go in a Saison, but they should be part of the overall beer profile and not stand out on their own. As a judge if I could pick out a certain one I would consider that a flaw.
Agreed. 99% of the flavor of a saison should come from the yeast. Additional spices should only compliment or add complexity. If you taste a saison and say to yourself, "this taste like coriander", you added too much.
No TV and no beer make Homer something something...