Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Big Swell IPA  (Read 2013 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Big Swell IPA
« on: October 15, 2011, 10:44:02 pm »
I've been savoring this "Certified Made On Maui" Maui Brewing Co IPA for several weeks. Has a sweet hoppy bitter roasty character. Fabulous effervescence (they really get it) and perfectly balanced. Nose bleed price tag at $10.99 a 6-pack. Though that's not unusual for premium American craft-brew. Instant convert.

Anyone? Have you had this?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Big Swell IPA
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 09:39:58 am »
I've been savoring this "Certified Made On Maui" Maui Brewing Co IPA for several weeks. Has a sweet hoppy bitter roasty character. Fabulous effervescence (they really get it) and perfectly balanced. Nose bleed price tag at $10.99 a 6-pack. Though that's not unusual for premium American craft-brew. Instant convert.

Anyone? Have you had this?

I learn of new brews just about every day. This one is quite a ways away from neck of the woods  :) but sounds like a good one. I'll keep a lookout for it. Maybe when I go to NHC in Seattle next June... I can try some.
Ron Price

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 08:54:08 am »
Took a six pack home with me from Oahu.  Great stuff.  For an 8% abv, its not too sweet, there's a nice hop balance and it goes does easy.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 11:29:10 pm »
Drinkin the ole stash are we? Nice. Never had the opportunity for this one euge...
I like the effervescent thing sometimes however...
Ahem.... ;D
Oh boy! Sampling beers are we? I had to work all weekend.  :P
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 11:31:17 pm by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 11:58:53 pm »
Yes, I can get it here on Hawaii Island in many places.  It's only available in cans here.  If I'm lucky and find it on sale I can  get it for $8.99/six.

I am not overly impressed with it. It's a pretty tasty beer, but there are other IPAs available here that I prefer. 

To me it seems that all the right notes are there, but they are not harmonious.  Not synergistic...? 

Perhaps the Maui wow factor is just lost on me.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 12:45:30 am »
Sampling. ;D Usually I try to get something new to educate myself. So many beers so few brain cells...

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis