Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: steeped grains @ 180 for 15 min  (Read 4503 times)

Offline Caddywhompusbeer

• Cellarman
steeped grains @ 180 for 15 min
« on: October 10, 2011, 10:00:41 am »
Was that enough to leach out tannins. This is for christmas gifts so I don't want any flaws. Does anyone see a big problem with this?

Thanks
Alcohol fuels my power cells - Phillip J Fry

Offline Caddywhompusbeer

• Cellarman
Re: steeped grains @ 180 for 15 min
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 10:03:36 am »
Specialty grains were 1# briess caramel 20 if that helps.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 10:05:42 am »
Leeching of tannins is not just about temperature, pH is important too.

So, what was the grain/water ratio?
What did you do after they were steeped at 180F?
What was the temp during runoff, and during sparge?  Or did you just lift a bag and pour water over it to rinse?
Have you ever had your water tested?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Caddywhompusbeer

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 10:11:19 am »
Sorry, this is an extract kit. Doing it instead of AG for time constraints. 2 gal water for 1 lb grain, and once I checked it I stirred till it was back to 160 and left it for about 5 more minutes. Poured 1/2 gal water over top to rinse. I'm new to this city so haven't got a water profile yet. All water for this beer is wallyworld purified water.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 10:30:21 am »
Like Tom said, tannin extraction is about temperature and pH.  You meet the temp requirement (above 170F) but normally, acidity in the grains can keep the pH below 6 where you don't have a problem.  In your case, though, your steeping was at 8 qt/lb which is way high.  The acidity in one pound of grain (especially a low acidity grain like C20) is probably not going to be enough the pull the pH of two gallons of water down below 6.  You could have an issue.
Joe

Offline Caddywhompusbeer

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 10:44:20 am »
Most all the kits I made when I started brewing advised 2 gal of water with the specialty grains at anywhere from 155-170, thats why I've always used that on extract batches with specialty grains. Wish I had some ph test strips on hand.

When and how will I tell if I goofed it up? Never had a problem with a batch so I'm unfamiliar with a lot of troubleshooting.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 10:47:17 am »
Most all the kits I made when I started brewing advised 2 gal of water with the specialty grains at anywhere from 155-170, thats why I've always used that on extract batches with specialty grains. Wish I had some ph test strips on hand.

When and how will I tell if I goofed it up? Never had a problem with a batch so I'm unfamiliar with a lot of troubleshooting.

you will know when it is done. Think big red wine or slightly over steeped black tea. I have had tannic problems and it is not a huge deal. It just gets a little dryness on the back of the tongue that isn't in line with the overall beer.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Caddywhompusbeer

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 10:51:49 am »

you will know when it is done. Think big red wine or slightly over steeped black tea. I have had tannic problems and it is not a huge deal. It just gets a little dryness on the back of the tongue that isn't in line with the overall beer.

So it shouldn't be bad enough to give people a fish face?  :D. The intended recipients are mainly BMC drinkers whom I'd like to convert, so I just want to put my best foot forward so to speak

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 11:05:22 am »

So it shouldn't be bad enough to give people a fish face?  :D. The intended recipients are mainly BMC drinkers whom I'd like to convert, so I just want to put my best foot forward so to speak

not in my experience but I may not have made one really bad. The BMC crowd can be tough though.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Caddywhompusbeer

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 11:52:54 am »

not in my experience but I may not have made one really bad. The BMC crowd can be tough though.

Lol I know right!  ;D

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 01:16:09 pm »
It may be that any astringency will be perceived as flavor, which they won't expect to find in a beer. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 05:05:56 pm »
If you do find tannins then you may try fining with polycar which removes polyphenols.

I didn't see a style but if oak is appropriate you could add a few cubes in a secondary. The tannins may feel like they came from the wood.
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 08:30:14 am »
1 lb for 15 minutes? I wouldn't worry.

But you could still 'fix' it and really louse things up if you want.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958