Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Efficiency/procedure  (Read 5746 times)

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
Re: Efficiency/procedure
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 09:27:55 pm »

I agree that the main goal of mash temp is fermentability. That being said, I noticed a bump in my efficiency when I started doing mash outs. I have heard it rationalized that the higher temps dissolve the sugar better allowing the water to do a better job of carrying it to the brew pot.  although this explanation makes sense to me, I can't say that it's fact, just my experience.
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Efficiency/procedure
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 09:28:55 am »

I agree that the main goal of mash temp is fermentability. That being said, I noticed a bump in my efficiency when I started doing mash outs. I have heard it rationalized that the higher temps dissolve the sugar better allowing the water to do a better job of carrying it to the brew pot.  although this explanation makes sense to me, I can't say that it's fact, just my experience.

Kai Troester has disproven that, at least to my satisfaction.  I think that  the reason is that you get more complete conversion by raising the temp.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell