Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Happy Columbus Day !  (Read 4663 times)

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
Happy Columbus Day !
« on: October 10, 2011, 11:37:24 am »
This would be a great day to brew a hoppy columbus hop IPA
in honor of the ole sailor.....who started a whole bunch o stuff.....

I am just enjoying my day off work and brewing...thppppppp""
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 07:20:13 am by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline andylovesburritos

• Cellarman
Re: Happy Columbus Day [b]![/b]
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 11:04:40 pm »
damn good idea

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Happy Columbus Day [b]![/b]
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 11:27:58 pm »
It'll have to be Columbus +1 day. ::)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Happy Columbus Day !
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 12:16:02 pm »
What an insanely stupid holiday if there ever was one...BUT corporate America paid me to stay at home.  Whoopy!
Jesse

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 12:46:46 pm »
What an insanely stupid holiday if there ever was one...BUT corporate America paid me to stay at home.  Whoopy!

I know some companies traded Columbus Day for Patriots Day ( 9/11 ), which makes more sense except it's so close to Labor Day.  I like to spread these things out a bit.

I don't get the day off but you'd never hear me complain if I did.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 02:31:36 pm »

I know some companies traded Columbus Day for Patriots Day ( 9/11 ), which makes more sense except it's so close to Labor Day.  I like to spread these things out a bit.

I don't get the day off but you'd never hear me complain if I did.

Right, I know.  We normally get some other day off earlier in the year, President's Day maybe?  But they swapped it with this one or something.  It's just we have a holiday for a guy who came from Spain with a bunch of his pals to the Americas and slaughtered a bunch of Indians.  This is something to be celebrated?  I think not...
Jesse

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 11:08:29 pm »
we need a holiday in March and April .....no breaks in that little stretch of road.
No, St. Pat's does NOT count at the present time....

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 06:39:49 am »
I agree.  I was just talking to someone the other day about that.  For my work, it's because everyone is busy in the spring with assessments in schools.  It's a long time between Martin Luther King Day and Memorial Day, no doubt.
Jesse

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 07:41:07 am »
Yeah and November has 2 ....lets move veterans day to the end of March or early April    :D

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 07:50:42 am »
Yeah and November has 2 ....lets move veterans day to the end of March or early April    :D

3 actually if you count the day after Thanksgiving ( which I do but you won't find me within 50 miles of a store ).  It would be wrong to move Veteran's day, especially this year ( 11/11/11 )
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 08:57:15 am »

we could move labor day back to may 1st like the rest of the world does.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 12:51:10 pm »
Veteran's Day is the 11th day of the 11th month of the year.   In 1918 an armistice, or temporary cessation of hostilities, between the Allied nations and Germany went into effect on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month.  For that reason, November 11, 1918, is generally regarded as the end of “the war to end all wars.”  In November 1919, President Wilson proclaimed November 11 as the first commemoration of Armistice Day.

On June 1, 1954, by act of the 83rd Congress, November 11th became a day to honor American veterans of all wars and was renamed Veterans Day.

Veterans Day continues to be observed on November 11, regardless of what day of the week on which it falls. The observance of Veterans Day on November 11 not only preserves the historical significance of the date, but helps focus attention on the important purpose of Veterans Day: A celebration to honor America's veterans for their patriotism, love of country, and willingness to serve and sacrifice for the common good.

This year we observe Veterans Day on 11/11/11.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 12:53:41 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 01:05:52 pm »
Veteran's Day is the 11th day of the 11th month of the year.   In 1918 an armistice, or temporary cessation of hostilities, between the Allied nations and Germany went into effect on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month.  For that reason, November 11, 1918, is generally regarded as the end of “the war to end all wars.”  In November 1919, President Wilson proclaimed November 11 as the first commemoration of Armistice Day.

On June 1, 1954, by act of the 83rd Congress, November 11th became a day to honor American veterans of all wars and was renamed Veterans Day.

Veterans Day continues to be observed on November 11, regardless of what day of the week on which it falls. The observance of Veterans Day on November 11 not only preserves the historical significance of the date, but helps focus attention on the important purpose of Veterans Day: A celebration to honor America's veterans for their patriotism, love of country, and willingness to serve and sacrifice for the common good.

This year we observe Veterans Day on 11/11/11.

Veteran's day in on a Friday, so I will  raise a pint to all veterans at 11 minutes and 11 seconds after 11 PM on 11/11/11.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 01:43:45 pm »
When I worked in Germany, I thought they had it right.  They had May 1 off, and just about every obscure Christian holiday.  You had a lot of time off when the weather was nice in the spring.

As for Veterans Day,  I remember when I was a kid many still called it Armistice Day.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 02:08:39 pm »
When I worked in Germany, I thought they had it right.  They had May 1 off, and just about every obscure Christian holiday.  You had a lot of time off when the weather was nice in the spring.

As for Veterans Day,  I remember when I was a kid many still called it Armistice Day.

I've always admired the Germans for that.  It seems they can't go two weeks without having a fest for one reason or another.  I like that a lot!

Life is short.  Be happy!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907