Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Peppermint Porter recipe (but with fresh peppermint leaves)  (Read 1100 times)

Offline FMbb

• 1st Kit
Peppermint Porter recipe (but with fresh peppermint leaves)
« on: April 19, 2020, 07:31:00 am »
I would like to try the Peppermint Porter recipe from the Zymurgy magazine (nov/dec 2019). I sounds interesting and I have plenty of peppermint plants in my backyard. The recipe calls for Peppermint tea bags; what is your suggested substitution to use fresh peppermint leaves and would you dry them first or use them fresh?
-Ben

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Peppermint Porter recipe (but with fresh peppermint leaves)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 09:23:03 am »
If you are using peppermint leaves, I would suggest that you chop them up and sanitize them in vodka or Everclear.  You won't need much, just enough to cover the leaves.  I don't think you need to dry them first, just soak them for an hour or two and add the entire tincture to the secondary (if you use one) or the primary after fermentation is complete.  Be careful though, peppermint can get overwhelming in a hurry.  Add a small amount, wait a few hours and taste.  If you need more, add more.  It is easier to increase but impossible to decrease without brewing another batch and blending.

I make a Peppermint Pattie Sweet Stout and use peppermint extract since the peppermint is already a sanitized tincture of peppermint and alcohol in the bottle.  That way i can easily add small amounts to adjust for taste.  My friends all love the beer!  As a matter of fact, I took a growler across the street to one of our neighbor's parties a while back. She gave everyone a taste and then cradled the gowler under her arm for the rest of the night so she could finish it!  Her husband and I still chuckle about that!   ;D

One other note.  If you keg your beers, your serving line may become impregnated with the peppermint flavor, especially if you are using vinyl lines.  I have had that happen so I keep a separate line for the peppermint stout and install it when this beer is on tap.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline FMbb

• 1st Kit
Re: Peppermint Porter recipe (but with fresh peppermint leaves)
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 04:46:42 pm »
Thanks Goose, helpful suggestions. I do use silicon tubing (this way I can sterilize it with 30 mins in the pressure cooker). I assume this 'autoclave' treatment should also get rid of the peppermint oil.
I like your idea of incrementally add & taste. I plan on starting with 10 grams of chopped up fresh leaves (since the recipe called for 15 tea bags).
FMbb