Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation Question  (Read 1411 times)

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
Fermentation Question
« on: October 18, 2011, 06:20:36 pm »
I found my 1.099 OG dark IPA fermenting like mad upon returning home last night... about 24 hours after I pitched my WLP090 San Diego Super yeast.  However, the temperature of my fermenter was showing 75F on my outdoor balcony which was around 67F.  I got the temperature down into the mid 60's a few hours later.  My question... will the early hours of 75F fermentation produce noticeable off flavors? 

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Fermentation Question
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 11:32:49 pm »
I found my 1.099 OG dark IPA fermenting like mad upon returning home last night... about 24 hours after I pitched my WLP090 San Diego Super yeast.  However, the temperature of my fermenter was showing 75F on my outdoor balcony which was around 67F.  I got the temperature down into the mid 60's a few hours later.  My question... will the early hours of 75F fermentation produce noticeable off flavors? 

I have no experience with that yeast and some breweries ferment above 70. Yeah you might get some off flavors but it might just end up being "not as clean" as you were expecting. RDWHAHB.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 05:45:35 am »
+1.  Not surprising that vigorous a fermentation could raise the temp by 8 degrees.  RDWAHAHB 
Dave Zach

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 09:50:50 am »
I heard a rumor last night at the brew club meeting that some folks are reporting a little diacetyl with that strain above 70 but it is just a rumor and a little is not a problem in an IPA.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce