Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Off-Beat Homebrew Contest  (Read 3347 times)

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Off-Beat Homebrew Contest
« on: September 30, 2011, 07:53:24 pm »
I've volunteered to judge a small homebrew contest tomorrow.  As it turns out the format is kind of unusual.  The entrants are supposed to supply 3gal, and after the judging takes place they are going to open up to the public for tasting.  I didn't know this until today.  As it so happens I'm the only BJCP judge at the event.  I told the guy not to worry, to get me a few volunteer judges and together we'd knock out the 25 or so entries in the morning.

The coordinator was stressing because he was under the impression that a BJCP contest had to follow some specific protocol, and he was relieved when I told him we'd just wing it.  I'm not going to worry too much about it.  I'm not entering the contest, but am bringing a couple bottles of ten different beers for the tasting, including my latest helles that turned out quite well.

Are there a lot of contests that march to their own drummer when it comes to format?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: Off-Beat Homebrew Contest
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 02:41:43 am »
"Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink-- under any circumstances."
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 10:03:50 am »
Are there a lot of contests that march to their own drummer when it comes to format?

I don't know about a lot, but there are some.  I recall hearing about one (Bluebonnet?) that had a malt liquor category once.  All entries had to come in 40 oz. containers and the judges drank them from the bottle, which was in a brown paper bag, as they sat around a dumpster.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline punatic

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 01:39:27 pm »
I think that was at the Dixie Cup.  They were famous for their annual odd-ball category.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 03:22:06 pm »
I think that was at the Dixie Cup.  They were famous for their annual odd-ball category.

Yep, you're correct!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dimik

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 11:28:25 pm »
Sounds exactly like Brooklyn Wort that takes place here in Brooklyn twice a year. I think last time the contestants had to enter 5 gallon though.
Check out BKYeast for my yeast ranching adventures and home lab!

Primary: Braggot, Petite Saison, Porter, Herbal IPA

On Tap: RyeIPA

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 06:39:14 am »
A local bar does a contest like that , where you bring 2 six packs for public consumption.
Then they give a prize for "People's Choice"
Dan S. from NJ

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 09:17:12 am »
Back from the contest, it was interesting to say the least.  As feared, I was the only BJCP judge and the only one who knew anything about judging beer.  Fortunately I thought to bring a couple copies of the Style Guidelines and a bunch of scoresheets.  They had only 28 entries thank goodness.  I grouped them as best I could into three flights of six, a flight of seven and a flight of three.  We judged IPA (6), brown/porter/stout (6), English/Scottish/Irish Ale (7), Belgian/French/German (6), and Specialty (3).  The Belgian/French/German was mostly wit and weizen, although there was a saison and it happened to win the category.  A honey lager won Specialty, barely edging the cherry pale ale.  Overall the quality of brews was good, very few examples of obvious flaws.

At first the event coordinator started to help me judge but he passed off to another volunteer after the first flight because he kept getting interrupted.  I worked with three other people and a couple more hung around long enough to get an idea of what to do.  It took us from 10AM-2:30PM to get through the beers, I know I'm slow but I thought we did a thorough job.  My helpers did an excellent job.  One ws an English major, I told him to whip out his adjectives.  Another was a stat professor, he corrected the math on my sheets and averaged two numbers at a rapid rate.

People's Choice went to a Bitter that didn't win its category, but some people entered just two bottles like a normal contest so not all were represented in that contest.  We had a few entries from the KC Biermeisters, and one from AZ.  I think they did well but I really don't recall for sure.  Hopefully the contest coordinator will scan those and email the sheets soon. 

So all in all it was a mild success, they didn't have the crowd they wanted but nothing new about that.  The people who came and those who entered got to see what a beer judging contest is all about, we'll see if they do it again next year.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 05:08:16 am »
This actually sounds like it could be a lot of fun, because it's an excellent opportunity to educate others about beer styles and flaws, as well as to show people the semi-seriousness with which we BJCP folks take it all.

I have been asked to judge a contest before that is similar to what you have described, except that each homebrewer was expected to supply 5 gallons and serve it themselves to the public after the competition.  Perks were that you got free access to the festival for the day, which would otherwise cost like $60 or $75 or something crazy like that, and if you won the competition, the prizes were all in the $100+ range.  I was turned off by the oddness of the whole thing, so I did not judge or enter, but a BJCP friend of mine judged and he enjoyed it very much.  It was hardly BJCP sanctioned, but I think such an event can still be a good time, if well organized and everyone is on the same page.

I've also been asked to judge a small competition where the other judges would have been "celebrities", even though I had no idea who the hell they were.  This one turned me off very much because the touted judges most likely would have known virtually zero about beer, which is probably why they wanted to throw one BJCP into the mix -- too odd for me, sorry.  I must confess, I prefer hanging out with "my own kind" under the typical format.  I could probably handle a little change, but small steps, small steps....
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 03:41:24 pm »
http://www.trumanindex.com/brewers-showcase-craft-beer-1.2633486

They misspelled my name but otherwise it was a decent little article.  I should've been able to recite the three objectives of the BJCP but its been long enough since the exam that I apparently drowned that brain cell.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline punatic

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 04:05:25 pm »

... I should've been able to recite the three objectives of the BJCP but its been long enough since the exam that I apparently drowned that brain cell.

Trustworthy
Loyal
Helpful...     ;)

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bernman

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 07:55:56 pm »

... I should've been able to recite the three objectives of the BJCP but its been long enough since the exam that I apparently drowned that brain cell.

Trustworthy
Loyal
Helpful...     ;)

Friendly
Courtous
Kind...

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 08:09:14 pm »
Trustworthy
Loyal
Helpful...     ;)

Friendly
Courtous
Kind...

That's half the Law but what about the three points of the Oath......

Stab something,
Burn something,
Pee in the woods

...at least that's how it seems for our guys
Joe

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 08:10:46 pm »
I was thinking more along the lines of:

Opinionated
Tipsy
Flatulent

But peeing would rank right up there.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline punatic

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 10:40:40 pm »
Trustworthy
Loyal
Helpful...     ;)

Friendly
Courtous
Kind...

That's half the Law but what about the three points of the Oath......

Stab something,  There goes your Totin' Chip
Burn something,  There goes your Firem'n Chit
Pee in the woods  There goes Leave No Trace

...at least that's how it seems for our guys

Sounds like a beer competition to me...      :D

AHA Life Member #33907