Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anyone here stock up on hops this time of year...  (Read 12161 times)

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
Anyone here stock up on hops this time of year...
« on: October 11, 2011, 11:04:00 am »
In the past I've struggled to find some hops come summer time.  This year, now as the 2011 hops hit the shelves, I am considering buying certain hops in volume.  How many people here stock pile there hops?  Who just buys on a just-in-time basis?

It's funny because I only buy base grain by the sack now a days but never any other ingridients even though I brew enough that storage time probably isn't an issue so long as I keep inventory age in mind when planning what to make.
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Anyone here stock up on hops this time of year...
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 11:22:47 am »
I harvested about 5 lb. (after drying) of my own Cascades.  I ordered 3-4 lb. of other hops (lb. of each).  But I still have a total of maybe 20-22 lb. of other hops from the last few years vacuum sealed in the freezer .
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 11:30:08 am »
Yep, buy grain in bulk, buy hops in bulk.  I usually get several pounds from Hopsdirect in the Fall and live off that.  I only buy onesie-twosies when I need a very specific hop that I'm not going to use enough of to make a bulk buy effective.
Joe

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 11:37:15 am »
Yep, buy grain in bulk, buy hops in bulk.  I usually get several pounds from Hopsdirect in the Fall and live off that.  I only buy onesie-twosies when I need a very specific hop that I'm not going to use enough of to make a bulk buy effective.

Totes to that.
Jesse

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 11:45:33 am »
Me too, I have about 10 lbs of hops in my freezer right now.  It makes sense for my favorite varieties, and like hokerer I supplement with other varieties as needed/desired.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 12:13:11 pm »
yep - i was on the sites first day and glad I was - amarillo was up and gone in a day at HD.

I have about 7lbs in the freezer now, but I ordered another 6lbs or so - I am fairly confident with my new brewhouse I'll be brewing more, as well as I have been enjoying much larger dryhop amounts recently (4-5oz per 10gal), so I think my usage will go up.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 12:37:31 pm »
I just ordered a few pounds of various hops myself. I have several pounds of assorted hops from '09 and '10 still vacuum sealed in my freezer, but I like to purchase some fresh inventory each year... mostly for dry hopping my IPA's and APA's.
Ron Price

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 12:58:02 pm »
yep - i was on the sites first day and glad I was - amarillo was up and gone in a day at HD.

I have about 7lbs in the freezer now, but I ordered another 6lbs or so - I am fairly confident with my new brewhouse I'll be brewing more, as well as I have been enjoying much larger dryhop amounts recently (4-5oz per 10gal), so I think my usage will go up.

I brewed on that day, and when I was done about 2:30, the Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe and Centennial were gone (assuming they were all there in the AM).  Ordered a 8 oz. Amarillo and 1 lb Centennial from Freshops.

My freezer is just about full from orders I made late last year and homegrown hops.  Need to start brewing hoppy beers to make room for the European hops come the first part of 2012.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 04:39:01 pm »
I have at least a few pounds on hand at any one time, 4-8oz of any one variety.  Its nice to set yourself up this way, my experience is that the hops stay good for a couple of years at least.

I have the advantage of buying from a supplier that buys in bulk and resells retail (2,4,8oz) at reasonable prices.  It gives me access to stuff that is occasionally unavailable via other sources.  I've got Amarillo and Simcoe in the freezer right now for example.

Whay are these hops in short supply?  And Centennial?  Thats an even more "standard" hop isn't it?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 04:46:32 pm »
buy amarillo and simcoe while you can...

8oz (max limit) amarillo
16oz simcoe  (32oz max limit)

from freshops today...

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 05:07:00 pm »
Good topic.  I just bought a few ounces of Saaz, Cascade and Tettnanger.  Wast thinking of buying in more bulk but was not sure if they would keep well, even vaccuum sealed.

What about in the bottom of my lagering fridge at 36F.  Is that good or should I freeze them?
Dave Zach

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 05:18:35 pm »
Yeah, I went to my LHBS last week and stumbled into whole Simcoe and Nelson Sauvin pellets.  Snagged 3/4 pound of Simcoe and 1/2 lb of NS. Not really stockin up but I bought what I could get my hands on. Really love the pop on both these varieties. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 05:20:10 pm »
Good topic.  I just bought a few ounces of Saaz, Cascade and Tettnanger.  Wast thinking of buying in more bulk but was not sure if they would keep well, even vaccuum sealed.

What about in the bottom of my lagering fridge at 36F.  Is that good or should I freeze them?

They keep great if vac sealed and frozen - up to a couple years.

I don't know that I would keep them at the bottom of a lagering freezer - mine tends to pool condensation from time to time.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 05:32:39 pm »
Gotta love the forum and my fellow homebrewers!  

Just went on HopsDirect and bought a pound each of Cascade, Czech Saaz and Tettnanger leaf hops.   :D

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 05:51:37 pm »
Gotta love the forum and my fellow homebrewers!  

Just went on HopsDirect and bought a pound each of Cascade, Czech Saaz and Tettnanger leaf hops.   :D

Dave

You are aware that the Czech Saaz are from last year?  Are the Tett US Tett (2011) or German Tett (2010)?   The origin will have a big influence.

The European hops are on line after the New Year.  Customs and all that.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!