Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anyone here stock up on hops this time of year...  (Read 12135 times)

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
Re: Anyone here stock up on hops this time of year...
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 06:24:58 pm »
Stock up, yes. 7-8 lbs. left from last year. Just placed an order for about 10 more lbs. The dearth of C hops @ HopsDirect is a bummer...  :o
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 06:26:16 pm »
I still have almost a pound of amarillo in the freezer from last year.  Same with Mt. Hood.  I'll need more Saaz, EKG, and Fuggles in month or two.  Some other odds and ends as well.  I'll probably hold off on ordering anything for the moment.  No more space.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 07:48:28 pm »
 I'll probably hold off on ordering anything for the moment.  No more space.

Pretty much in the same boat.  Even though I usually get a few pounds this time every year, in addition to the opened partial pounds from last year, I've still got two unopened Hopsdirect pounds (Cascade & Magnum).  Probably no more for me this season either.
Joe

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 05:41:32 am »
Same as just about everyone else...I buy several pounds of my most commonly used hops this time of year.  In fact, I just picked up some Simcoe and Citra from Freshops the other day.  I'm waiting on placing my big order until HD puts their pellets on sale.  Planning on getting pounds of Citra, Amarillo, Cascade, and depending on my current supply, some Northern Brewer, GR Magnum, Hallertau Mittelfrau, and EKG.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 05:48:27 am »
Gotta love the forum and my fellow homebrewers!  

Just went on HopsDirect and bought a pound each of Cascade, Czech Saaz and Tettnanger leaf hops.   :D

Dave

You are aware that the Czech Saaz are from last year?  Are the Tett US Tett (2011) or German Tett (2010)?   The origin will have a big influence.

The European hops are on line after the New Year.  Customs and all that.

I was not aware of this.  Figured it was 2011.  I know it's impossible to tell exactly, but do you think there will be a good amount of lost AA?
Dave Zach

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 05:52:51 am »
I'm waiting on placing my big order until HD puts their pellets on sale. 

+1

I bought several pounds from FH but want to get several more from HD. Anyone know when they will have their 2011 pellets ready?
Ron Price

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 05:55:33 am »

+1

I bought several pounds from FH but want to get several more from HD. Anyone know when they will have their 2011 pellets ready?

They say late October, early November.  I plan on checking the site pretty much daily:)
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 06:11:44 am »

+1

They say late October, early November.  I plan on checking the site pretty much daily:)
Me too, I didn't want to have to cram leaf hops into my freezer. I hope some of the Citra made it to the pelletizer.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 10:06:59 am »
buy amarillo and simcoe while you can...

8oz (max limit) amarillo
16oz simcoe  (32oz max limit)

from freshops today...

Thanks for the tip.  I've already got 2+ lb. of Amarillo, but I grabbed some Simcoe.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2011, 02:03:42 pm »
Hey guys, from earlier in the post, how off will 2010 Saaz be right now?  A couple of AAU's?  Or several?
Dave Zach

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2011, 02:09:49 pm »
Hey guys, from earlier in the post, how off will 2010 Saaz be right now?  A couple of AAU's?  Or several?

I have some 2010 saaz pellets that I am still using - they are okay - shouldn't really be using them for much more than late additions so the IBU deterioration should not be that hindering.

that said, Czech Saaz are well known to lose AA rather quickly.  I don't have my hop union book on this computer, but I know its pretty high. 

use 'em late in the boil and you'll be fine.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 02:14:31 pm »
What a bummer!  Just bought a pound of that!   >:(
Dave Zach

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 02:36:38 pm »
Hey guys, from earlier in the post, how off will 2010 Saaz be right now?  A couple of AAU's?  Or several?
They can't lose a lot of AA%, since they don't have much to begin with!  I have a pound of pellets in the freezer that I won't worry about using.  Pellets - not much to worry about.  Whole hops would lose more, still not much to worry about. As far as the bitterness, it is always a guess as to the AA going in, even using that printed number on the bag.

If you want to buy fresh European hops, the time to buy is the first of the year.  Takes a while for shipping and customs.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 02:40:49 pm »
Hey guys, from earlier in the post, how off will 2010 Saaz be right now?  A couple of AAU's?  Or several?
They can't lose a lot of AA%, since they don't have much to begin with!  I have a pound of pellets in the freezer that I won't worry about using.  Pellets - not much to worry about.  Whole hops would lose more, still not much to worry about. As far as the bitterness, it is always a guess as to the AA going in, even using that printed number on the bag.

If you want to buy fresh European hops, the time to buy is the first of the year.  Takes a while for shipping and customs.

Can you point me to a good website?
Dave Zach

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2011, 02:50:52 pm »

Can you point me to a good website?

same place you just bought from.  just gotta be more patient  ;)
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281