Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Regulator Issue?  (Read 4362 times)

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
Regulator Issue?
« on: October 11, 2011, 03:51:24 pm »
So, I'm wondering what is wrong with my regulator.  My serving fridge is ALWAYS set to 10 psi.  The other day I went to get a beer, it was at 15 psi.  We haven't had any major temp. shifts, and now when I vent all the kegs to relieve the pressure, then re-pressurize, it slowly creeps back up to around 10.  Then the next day without fail its at 15 to 15+!  What the what!!  I did notice that the pressure dial seems like I have to really turn it up before it will even start registering, like it's loose or something ???.  But it's not leaking, go figure... >:(
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: Regulator Issue?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 07:03:13 pm »
Is your CO2 tank getting close to being empty?
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 11:45:26 am »
Is your gauge in the fridge?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 11:52:45 am »
disconnect the QDs from the keg, depress the post inside of the QDs (with the tank valve and check valves open) - does the needle drop and then settle at 10 PSI?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 12:00:16 pm »
disconnect the QDs from the keg, depress the post inside of the QDs (with the tank valve and check valves open) - does the needle drop and then settle at 10 PSI?
Wouldn't just venting the keg get you the same info, or am I picturing this wrong?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline blatz

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 12:04:59 pm »
Wouldn't just venting the keg get you the same info, or am I picturing this wrong?

I guess you are right.

I guess I was thinking from the opposite standpoint, i.e. that pressure was dropping - the method I mentioned would help identify if there was a leak in the keg versus at the regulator.

Carry on... :D
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 12:08:09 pm »

I guess you are right.
Maybe not, I think I'm wrong :)  If you want to know if the extra pressure is coming from the beer or the tank, you have to disconnect the gas from the keg.  If it's not connected and the pressure goes up after setting it to 10 psi then clearly it is coming from the tank.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 01:44:50 pm »
If you have an extra pressure gage, try installing the gage to the outlet side of the keg and verifying that pressure increase. If you can realize the increase, then it's likely you have a defective regulator. If not, then you have a defective pressure gage on your regulator or your beer is continually pressurized above your regulator setpoint.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 01:46:21 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 01:58:35 pm »
Did you force carb the beer at a higher psi?  The beer could be at 15. 

Or, my regulator is VERY touchy.  Try stopping it at 8 and see what happens there.

My two cents.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline blatz

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 02:11:21 pm »
Did you force carb the beer at a higher psi?  The beer could be at 15. 

I'm betting that is it.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 02:22:29 pm »
It's certainly possible to overcarbonate the beer. The regulator should regulate the pressure by bleeding off any residual keg pressure exceeding setpoint pressure. This is assuming the regulator is in good working order.
Ron Price

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 02:27:43 pm »
Could be a leaky needle valve (or poppet) in the regulator.  That would produce a creeping pressure increase.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 02:31:47 pm by mabrungard »
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 02:30:20 pm »
It's certainly possible to overcarbonate the beer. The regulator should regulate the pressure by bleeding off any residual keg pressure exceeding setpoint pressure. This is assuming the regulator is in good working order.
Depending on where he got the system though, there should be a check valve at the regulator so it will not read the keg pressure or bleed off any excess keg pressure.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline blatz

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 02:57:03 pm »
Depending on where he got the system though, there should be a check valve at the regulator so it will not read the keg pressure or bleed off any excess keg pressure.

really?  I have three regulators from micromatic http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/regulators-pid-642-2.html

they are 'supposed' to have check valves, however, they all will read what the pressure of the keg is if it is over the 'dialed in' PSI.

they only bleed off if the differential is severe, but a 5 PSI difference, I don't hear anything.

hmm...

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 04:14:46 pm »

really?  I have three regulators from micromatic http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/regulators-pid-642-2.html

they are 'supposed' to have check valves, however, they all will read what the pressure of the keg is if it is over the 'dialed in' PSI.

they only bleed off if the differential is severe, but a 5 PSI difference, I don't hear anything.

hmm...
I don't know why they don't work if they are there.  And for what it's worth, the one you linked to doesn't seem to have a check valve, just a shutoff valve on the outlet.
Tom Schmidlin