Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: cleaning  (Read 8452 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: cleaning
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2010, 03:19:15 pm »
I didn't know there was a liquid version.  Have you used the both, Don, so you could compare them for us?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2010, 03:22:08 pm »
What are you channeling Billy Mays?

:D  :D

Just helping him R.I.P.  ;D

Just brew it...

Offline mtbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2010, 03:25:00 pm »
Oxyclean and BKF for cleaning.  Iodophor and Star-San for sanitizers.

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2010, 03:26:16 pm »
Apparently to no avail . . .  :'(
Just brew it...

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2010, 03:26:33 pm »
For cleaning I use whatever dishwasher detergent we currently have in the house. I found that to be fairly effective.

suprising. 

I am always nervous that no matter how much I rinse, the oils from the soap will remain.

About 10 years ago, dishwasher soap was a favorite among homebrewers.  I don't recall anyone ever having anything negative to say about it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2010, 04:57:31 pm »
About 10 years ago, dishwasher soap was a favorite among homebrewers.  I don't recall anyone ever having anything negative to say about it.

so why aren't you using it?  ;)
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2010, 06:07:43 pm »
Because I like Oxiclean and PBW so well that I don't have any incentive to change....it's the pragmatic way!  :)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Dbbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2010, 09:21:53 pm »
OxyClean, StarSan, and Barkeeper's Friend

Same here.

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2010, 11:40:56 am »
Ox i clean, Starsan and a scotch no-scratch sponge, (the blue one) The sponge is mostly
to clean the hop mess at the top of the boil kettle at the end of the brew day, and the occaional
malt that gets glued to the bottom of the kettle.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline brewbeard

• 1st Kit
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2010, 08:14:58 pm »
I use regular old dish soap to clean everything immediately on brew day. Since it is not unscented (does anyone know where to get unscented dish soap?), I'm sure to rinse well. At some point, afterwards, I will also soak everything but the kettles in Oxiclean to make sure there is nothing left on them.

I keep a plastic tote of Star San on hand to sanitize everything, discarding it as soon as it starts turning cloudy.

I have some Barkeeper's Friend, but I haven't tried it yet on my kettles. I works well on my stovetop though.