Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Batch Question  (Read 5035 times)

Offline twodogbrew69

• 1st Kit
First Batch Question
« on: October 12, 2011, 12:41:08 pm »
Grain into the water or water onto the grain?  I have heard and read both ways.  Thanks for the help! :)
Kevin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: First Batch Question
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 12:42:53 pm »
Either way works fine.  It pretty much depends on your techniques and system.  I do grain into water because I've found it works better for me.  Pick a method, try it, and see how it works.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 12:43:11 pm »
This will be a matter of opinion here but:

Grain into water for me.  
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 12:44:44 pm »
I'm a big proponent of grain into water.  If you put your water into your MLT first, it gives you the chance to preheat your MLT and gives you the opportunity to make corrections to the temp if you erred - i.e. if the temp is way above your strike, you can either wait or add ice, and if its below, you can remove some of the water and reheat it.  I always heat my water to about 3-5df over my strike since that seems to be what my MLT drops the temp immediately.

You can still 'fix' things when the grain is in there, but its messier and now you are running against the clock.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 12:51:11 pm »
Either way works fine.  It pretty much depends on your techniques and system.  I do grain into water because I've found it works better for me.  Pick a method, try it, and see how it works.

I do grain into water because it's what Denny does  :D

Acually I do 1/2 water, 1/2 grain, the rest of the water and the rest of the grain.  Works well for me...no dough balls.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 01:35:03 pm »
I too am a grain into water proponant. I got terrible dough balls (tee hee) when I did it the other way for my first couple of batchs. but that was probably because i was working with a 5 gallon bucket as mash tun. but the preheating of the mash tun is also usefull
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 01:44:23 pm »
+1 to the above.  Grain in to water.  No dough balls here!   ;D
Dave Zach

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 01:57:00 pm »
I've done it both ways with success. I prefer grain into water because I get less dough balls and I can adjust my water prior to adding grain if need be.
Ron Price

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 02:07:45 pm »
I do water into grain because I'm pretty gangsta.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 02:28:09 pm »
I do grain into water because I direct fire my mash tun.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 03:04:10 pm »
I do grain into water because I direct fire my mash tun.

Another good point that I forgot to mention.
Ron Price

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 04:22:59 pm »
I put roughly 1/3 of my strike water in as a foundation, then add all the grain then add the remaining water. Reasons . . .

When doing high gravity mashes that require the full volume of the mash tun, it lets the grain settle lower in the tun when doughing in, First time I added all the water then the grain I had grain falling out the top of the tun till it soaked enough water to settle.

My water inlet into my tun enters the top of the tun through a copper "T"  which has two 10" copper pipes with a total of a dozen drain holes. It spreads the remaining 2/3 of the strike water evenly across the top of the grain while the 4 motorized stirring propellers eliminate any dough ball formation. It worked so well the first time I did it, I do it that way for all my mashes now. The only variable is contending with the tun's thermal mass when the ambient temperature changes considerably, but Promash can compensate the numbers pretty well . .   
Just brew it...

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 04:30:49 pm »
Grain into the water or water onto the grain?  I have heard and read both ways.  Thanks for the help! :)

Now that you've heard arguments for both ways, it seems that it really depends upon your particular brewery and the type of beer you are making.  How are you mashing and how big is the beer?
Dave Zach

Offline Hokerer

• Manassas, VA
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 05:56:39 pm »
I'm a big proponent of grain into water.  If you put your water into your MLT first, it gives you the chance to preheat your MLT and gives you the opportunity to make corrections to the temp if you erred - i.e. if the temp is way above your strike, you can either wait or add ice, and if its below, you can remove some of the water and reheat it.  I always heat my water to about 3-5df over my strike since that seems to be what my MLT drops the temp immediately.

You can still 'fix' things when the grain is in there, but its messier and now you are running against the clock.

+1.  That's how I do it and for the very same reasons
Joe

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 06:03:17 pm »
but the preheating of the mash tun is also usefull

If you're doing infusion mashing in a cooler this is a really good argument for grain into water.  It can be pretty tough to hit your temps until the temperature of the cooler is stabilized up near your mash temp.
Clint
Wort Hogs