Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Shameless plug: Education petition  (Read 1862 times)

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
Shameless plug: Education petition
« on: October 31, 2011, 01:11:44 pm »
http://wh.gov/b1c

Petition to use Japanese Soroban as a teaching tool in early mathematics education.

It needs 150 votes to be visible.  Not like it'll happen but I can sure try.  Of course 25000 by November 30 to be taken seriously.  :|

I'm trying to impact the education system ... slowly... though honestly it looks to me like everyone's more interested in being able to smoke pot.  That's the single largest issue on the US Petition site.   O_o

(It's a slow day, I'm not making money in the stock market, and the market isn't driving the stocks I want down hard enough to reach my estimates ...so I'll do something useful for the moment)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Shameless plug: Education petition
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 01:35:18 pm »
For what it's worth BFI, the pro-pot lobby, at least the 'serious' part of it, is more about trying to get the thousands and thousands of wrongefully imprisoned people out of jail. It's not just about wanting to smoke pot. People do that anyway.

I have no idea what the japanese soroban is so I can't comment beyond that.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 01:46:51 pm »
Eeeeh now I have to dance around to not make this into a political topic.  ???

I was more interested in the first look at the petition system a month or three after it came out, when they found that the landslide biggest issue showing up was endless petitions demanding the legalization of marijuana.  That's most of what anyone cared about.  Biggest issue on this side of the planet.

Apparently marijuana is the single most important thing in this country--whether you're for banning it or legalizing it, you have a huge and noisy lobby behind you.  That's as facepalmable as when we had a war going on and the single most important thing was gay marriage (during the 2004 election campaign, Bush vs. Kerry).

Ignoring the actual stance and arguments for and against, I'm often shocked at the utter ridiculousness of the hot issues in this country.  I appreciate that politics is a big flamewar arguing about differences of opinions; but I just keep waking up and going, "People of America ... THIS is what you want to argue about today?"

Let's stick to education.  Education isn't much of a political topic.  Everyone wants it to be better, nobody's arguing that we need to strip education, and generally there's a lot of stuff worth talking about in education that doesn't involve religion in education or evolution versus creationism.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 01:58:19 pm »
fair enough politics dropped. I would still argue that getting funding back into schools for arts, music and physical education would return more bang for your buck. But I am sure that, particularly for visual learners, the soroban would be a valuable educational tool. (I looked it up, gotta love wikipedia).
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce