Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 12 Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Music  (Read 19081 times)

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
Re: 12 Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Music
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 11:33:42 pm »
I used to think the differences in music made a difference. Until YouTube taught me
that the hits are all the same song via SCP, Same Chord Progression....

Here: http://youtu.be/L4UB9WQylic (kinda dry but educational)

Then someone had some fun with it here: http://youtu.be/5pidokakU4I (NSFW, and keep an ear open, Waltzing Matilda is thrown in briefly.) More entertaining than the other link... ;D

Edited to a link for the song titles...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 11:44:50 pm by rabid_dingo »
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 11:57:25 pm »
Great, now I want to toss my cookies!

By the way Happy Birthday Dingo!!!

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 12:12:22 am »
Thank you Marc.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 02:27:08 am »
Justin Bieber = David Cassidy
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 08:04:27 am »
As with so many things in life, just because it's extremely popular doesn't mean it's really any good.  Don't ever use popularity as a basis to say something is good, ever.

I could go on to say that more than 50% of Americans are absolute dunces, but that would make me sound like the jerk that I am and might upset some people who are sure they are not dunces, even though 50% of them are.

For what it's worth, I can get past the whole popularity thing and say that I actually enjoy some of Celine Dion's and Shania Twain's music from time to time.  And the fact that they are above-average looking women doesn't hurt too much.  But for the most part, I try not to be too shallow.  I also listen to TONS of music performed by VERY UGLY MEN, if that proves anything.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 08:38:30 am »
music performed by VERY UGLY MEN

Probably my favorite genre.  I mean, look at YES, for instance.  And Led Zeppelin...Jimmy Page and Robert Plant looked like Frodo Baggins and Galadriel, respectively.  John Bonham as Gimli?

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 09:31:06 am »
This list pretty well summed up my feelings about the current pop music scene.  #12 is a classic, even my teen(and preteen) daughters hated Beiber.  My youngest, when invited to a birthday party of a friend, later found out they were going to the Beiber movie and asked if she really had to go.  She actually fell asleep during it (it's a natural defense she learned from her Dad).

My oldest listens to the classical music station in his car.  :o  And, at age 17, likes NPR.  ???  I'm pretty sure he is not statistically significant in a music survey though.

Go chaperone a grade/high school dance now days.  Except for a few songs you will swear you are back in high school in 1982.  I don't know who buys the crap produced for the Top 40 but it isn't all the kids.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 09:57:07 am »
Justin Beiber is the man. I have all of his CD's and a couple posters. ;)

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 12:02:09 pm »
You know that all of the music is availble online is what matters. You can't be angry over other peoples choices. The true music will stand the true test of time. God help us if it is Beibier. I think the classic rock will prevail because of the nostalgic qualities. Not to mention the singers qualities. Freddy Mecury vs Bierber.

ABSOf##kINGLUTELY.  With the run of the mill musicians/singers we have today dominating the popular music scene, it's ridiculous.  There are actually kids these days who don't know who Bob Dylan is.  Really people?  So many people need an education in music these days...

Today we have Protools, a recording software that allows you to correct every off pitch note, line up drum hits that are slightly off, tune a slightly out of tune guitar, etc.  Back then, they had to actually PLAY it.  Sad.
Jesse

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 01:16:06 pm »
Yeah, disappointing, but if you think about the way music is sold nowadays, it's not all that surprising.

Music is sold nowadays?  In all seriousness, it is heartening to see CD prices finally come down out of the stratosphere - I bought a Sonic Youth disc recently & only paid $12 instead of $25+.  The moronic record company policy of increasing prices to make up for lost revenue due to piracy seems to be history.  How many more folks pirated music because of their price goudging idocy is unknown though.

Please don't blame me or my countrymen & women for #12 - it makes me wretch that he was spawned here.

Edit: Ah Crap!  I had mentally blocked out that #6, #7 were foisted upon the world from my home land too, now I need a drink.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 01:25:47 pm by akr71 »
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2011, 01:24:55 pm »
There are actually kids these days who don't know who Bob Dylan is.  Really people?  So many people need an education in music these days...

Most people of advanced age can't (without cheating) tell me the most popular acts of the 1910s. If you expect people to understand the music scene that existed 40 years before they were children, it isn't just kids today that would struggle.

It's easy to draw these conclusions when you establish the things you know and like as the gold standard that everyone should know and like.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2011, 01:26:36 pm »
Most people of advanced age can't (without cheating) tell me the most popular acts of the 1910s. If you expect people to understand the music scene that existed 40 years before they were children, it isn't just kids today that would struggle.

It's easy to draw these conclusions when you establish the things you know and like as the gold standard that everyone should know and like.

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2011, 01:52:41 pm »
There are actually kids these days who don't know who Bob Dylan is.  Really people?  So many people need an education in music these days...

That's valid. 

I will say that there is some music in radio rotation today that I do like.  It isn't typically Top 40 stuff.  More like Saliva and Slipknot but I am kind of fond of the 40's channel on XM.

I can't count the number of times my Dad asked me how I could listen to that "crap" on the radio when I was a kid.  I've said the same thing about rap and hip-hop (I have tried, really I have!).  I just can't stand the attitude they have about people in general and women in particular. 

To each there own (and then some).

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2011, 02:02:29 pm »
Bad Popular Music gives inspiration to the underground music scene.  So much material to make fun of.
Dan Chisholm

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2011, 02:14:13 pm »
Yeah, disappointing, but if you think about the way music is sold nowadays, it's not all that surprising.

Music is sold nowadays?  In all seriousness, it is heartening to see CD prices finally come down out of the stratosphere - I bought a Sonic Youth disc recently & only paid $12 instead of $25+.  The moronic record company policy of increasing prices to make up for lost revenue due to piracy seems to be history.  How many more folks pirated music because of their price goudging idocy is unknown though.

Please don't blame me or my countrymen & women for #12 - it makes me wretch that he was spawned here.

Edit: Ah Crap!  I had mentally blocked out that #6, #7 were foisted upon the world from my home land too, now I need a drink.

yup you folks up north have ALOT to answer for. It's alright I forgive you. even for celine.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce