Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 12 Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Music  (Read 18872 times)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: 12 Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Music
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2011, 01:52:28 pm »
Personally, I think the masses like good music

Problem with this hypothesis is that no one can really authoritatively define what "good" music is.  One man's rubbish is another man's gold.  If you say, the masses generally like the music I consider to be good, then you've got a slightly more meaningful statement.  But someone else may have a much stricter definition of what qualifies as good in music, in which case it might be a stretch to assume the masses would like it.

I agree that there should be no concern whether music is "popular" or not.  You either like it or you don't, and all of us have different tastes in music.  There's any number of hipster bands and acts that I could (or actually could not, now that I think of it) name that feel painful for me to listen to, and basically strike me as just as musically derivative as some of the simple pop acts, except with a side of preening, smug pretension.  But I have good friends that think they are the bee's knees, the wasp's nipples, so to speak.  So slagging them off is pointless...I don't have better taste than my friends, just different taste.  There will always be pop music.  There are enough people that like it and listen to it, that I don't feel I need to!  Also, remember that when we reminisce about music of earlier years we're remembering only the best stuff that endured for decades.  All the one-hit wonders and pop bilge from the 60s and 70s that we've forgotten is a better comparison to the pop of today.  Still, I'll be the first to concede my favorite decade of rock music was from say about '66-'76.  A guitarist golden age, that.

This is somewhat random, but if you want to confuse the hell out of your brain:
http://oriental-traditional-music.blogspot.com/2011/10/musik-aus-bali-double-lp-emi-electrola.html

Side three has a 25min kecak performance, male chorus chanting/singing a drama involving strange monkey like vocalizations.  First LP has gamelan stuff.  This stuff is beyond me to actually enjoy, but it is very interesting and/or freaky.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2011, 02:07:19 pm »
When rap music started I gave it a couple of years at most. I guess I was wrong.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2011, 02:36:25 pm »
When rap music started I gave it a couple of years at most. I guess I was wrong.
Ha, nice.  I think people said the same thing about rock n roll, heavy metal, black metal...  In the mainstream, they may be dead, but they're doing oh so well in the underground.  And I have no qualms telling anyone at anytime in a conversation about music that music in the underground is by far and away the best music being written and produced today.  No matter what scene or style you look at, the underground always produces THE best music.
Jesse

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2011, 03:05:19 pm »
I will say, Morlocks definitely do seem more hardcore than Eloi.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2011, 03:22:15 pm »
All of you are such fools. The thing you all fail to realize is that music hit it's pinical with polka and has been spiraling down hill ever since.

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2011, 03:26:54 pm »
I'd definitely pick Justin Bieber over polka.

jaybeerman

« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2011, 03:34:54 pm »
All of you are such fools. The thing you all fail to realize is that music hit it's pinical with polka and has been spiraling down hill ever since.

polka is alive (you can't call a pinnacle until something has died), it just went to other countries

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2011, 03:53:56 pm »
Perhaps this is the pinnacle?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCzONPMYlUU

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2011, 04:07:30 pm »
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

narvin

jaybeerman

« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2011, 05:21:31 pm »
no mariachi fans here i guess

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2011, 06:38:22 pm »
Interesting article I guess, but it was mostly lost on me since I almost never listen to any music made after 1983 or so.

Lady Gaga seems like a good kid tho.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2011, 06:42:59 pm »

I happen to love mariachi. but apparently I can't spell pinnacle.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2011, 07:25:28 pm »

I have a plate of tortilla chips and guacamole, and a chilled glass of reposado in front of me as I type, so at this point, I'd be rather down with that.  Sad that it is sort of "food music", much like German oompah band music.  In the right context its spot on.

jaybeerman

« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2011, 07:58:18 pm »
I happen to love mariachi. but apparently I can't spell pinnacle.

that's ok you can tell me about polka and I'll tell you when you've misspelled pinnacle

I have a plate of tortilla chips and guacamole, and a chilled glass of reposado in front of me as I type, so at this point, I'd be rather down with that.  Sad that it is sort of "food music", much like German oompah band music.  In the right context its spot on.

I never hated polka or mariachi, but I wouldn't say that I actively pursued listening to it until a year ago or so.  Now I have a mariachi channel on pandora that I listen to with it in shuffle mode.  I seriously like brass and always have, so polka was a little bit easier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKQixllq1Xc&feature=fvst ah yes...fits both mariachi and polka mood