Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 12 Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Music  (Read 19075 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: 12 Extremely Disappointing Facts About Popular Music
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2011, 12:50:50 am »
Music is just as good and inventive as it ever was. Don't listen to country much at all so that genre is unclear to me but it seems like it's all the same songs thematically as it ever was but more influenced by rock and modern culture. Now the radio tunes in rotation are all metal, hard rock, and funky pop that I listen to while driving and trippy electronic mind f*ck stuff streaming off the web at home. Haven't bought a CD in over ten years.

So I say it's never been better. Currently the main themes of pop are sex and masturbation, drugs, alcohol and dancing. What can out-do that? 8) And the tracks are reaching way back to the hot stuff from the mid-90's, when we were all munching ecstasy and dancing until the sun rose.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2011, 02:20:23 am »
I buy CDs as much as possible because they are not protected (you don't need to keep track of the licenses, like with downloads).  Some of the newer stuff I like is not on CDs.   :(

For you euge:

"What kind of music do you usually have here?"
"Oh we got both kinds - we got country and western!"
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 02:23:14 am by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2011, 06:55:32 am »
I happen to love mariachi. but apparently I can't spell pinnacle.

that's ok you can tell me about polka and I'll tell you when you've misspelled pinnacle

I have a plate of tortilla chips and guacamole, and a chilled glass of reposado in front of me as I type, so at this point, I'd be rather down with that.  Sad that it is sort of "food music", much like German oompah band music.  In the right context its spot on.

I never hated polka or mariachi, but I wouldn't say that I actively pursued listening to it until a year ago or so.  Now I have a mariachi channel on pandora that I listen to with it in shuffle mode.  I seriously like brass and always have, so polka was a little bit easier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKQixllq1Xc&feature=fvst ah yes...fits both mariachi and polka mood

Interestingly enough (for me, anyway) Mariachi music was influenced by German Oom-pah (aka Volkstümliche Musik also commonly referred to as polka) in the same way that Mexican Beer was influenced by German beer due to a large contingency of German immigrants to Mexico in the 1800's.

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2011, 09:58:31 am »
I spent a lot of my childhood listening to polka. My dad must have had a thousand polka tapes. He spent a lot of time cruising in the motor home blasting the polka. He was also in a polka band for a while. After he died, my three brothers and I all inherited an accordion.

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2011, 03:53:38 pm »
Didn't I see him in the movie Home Alone?   :D
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2011, 07:14:22 pm »
Music is just as good and inventive as it ever was. Don't listen to country much at all so that genre is unclear to me but it seems like it's all the same songs thematically as it ever was but more influenced by rock and modern culture. Now the radio tunes in rotation are all metal, hard rock, and funky pop that I listen to while driving and trippy electronic mind f*ck stuff streaming off the web at home. Haven't bought a CD in over ten years.

Black metal (the sh!t I listen to) is like this.  There's nothing really cutting edge these days.  And I guess it's like most genres of music: 95% of it is run of the mill sh!t.  But that other 5% is f*cking head bangin'!

Sad that you don't buy music anymore though.  I like to support the bands I'm into, they deserve it.  It's exciting, too, to go to a music store and buy a CD that looks cool, you know the impulse buy thing.  Paying for music, listening to it non-stop for a month, impulse buying, the smell of the CD booklet, reading the lyrics as you're listening to it for the first time; it's all a part of being a music lover.  I hate the digital age, it's spawned a whole generation of careless and spiritless music listeners.  And I guess the same could be said for the iPod, but I actually think that's a good idea.  It's better than carrying 100 of your favorite CD's and a clunky CD player around everywhere.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 07:17:37 pm by beersk »
Jesse

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster

Offline dimik

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2011, 10:42:06 pm »
#12 is just horrifying indeed.

Devaluation of talent in music is exactly why I'm simultaneously delving into symphonic metal, folk metal, traditional celtic, and ancient-medieval church chants. At least those are original, carry a lot of meaning and are melodically very much related.
Check out BKYeast for my yeast ranching adventures and home lab!

Primary: Braggot, Petite Saison, Porter, Herbal IPA

On Tap: RyeIPA

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2011, 10:01:36 am »
no mariachi fans here i guess

I love mariachi, klezmer, and polka!

This is fantastic....

http://youtu.be/GCu2XMTU76s
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY

jaybeerman

« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2011, 07:42:33 pm »
I love mariachi, klezmer, and polka!

This is fantastic....

http://youtu.be/GCu2XMTU76s
And the modern version!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBKdOiGjqcY&feature=related

now we're talking denny!  love it.  you too thirsty, I like the lost shoe (late in the song)

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2011, 12:43:35 am »
no mariachi fans here i guess

I have to throw this one in. Especially since the last wedding reception I attended in Mexico went well past 4:00 am when I tired out...Damn they know how to party!

http://youtu.be/7G-U82PriO0
Description says this was performed in Japan...
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2011, 09:19:25 am »
And I guess the same could be said for the iPod, but I actually think that's a good idea.  It's better than carrying 100 of your favorite CD's and a clunky CD player around everywhere.

I read an article a coupel of years ago regarding iPods, downloads, etc. Apparently a study was performed that showed 'young' people (younger than me that is so 20's and down) actually prefer the low-fi digital sound of an MP3 to the rich full analog sound you get from an old fashioned record or even a high sample rate CD. Perhaps this has something to do with the lack of interest in highly complex musical styles.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2011, 09:38:01 am »
And I guess the same could be said for the iPod, but I actually think that's a good idea.  It's better than carrying 100 of your favorite CD's and a clunky CD player around everywhere.

I read an article a coupel of years ago regarding iPods, downloads, etc. Apparently a study was performed that showed 'young' people (younger than me that is so 20's and down) actually prefer the low-fi digital sound of an MP3 to the rich full analog sound you get from an old fashioned record or even a high sample rate CD. Perhaps this has something to do with the lack of interest in highly complex musical styles.
Don't doubt that one bit.  I guess either way, as long as you can connect and identify with the music, than sound quality can be compromised.  I guess people can connect and identify with gangster rap, which I don't understand why, but whatever floats your boat.  I connect more with some of the ideologies of black metal, and metal in general.  Although some of it is just plain stupid.
Jesse