Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rocky Mountain Audiofest 2011  (Read 2428 times)

jaybeerman

Rocky Mountain Audiofest 2011
« on: October 13, 2011, 04:18:44 pm »
Anybody going?  If you like high-end audio and you'll be in denver the 14-16, it looks to be a good time.  Here's the link -

http://audiofest.net/2011/index.php

"The Rocky Mountain Audio Fest will be held at the Denver Marriott Tech Center Hotel on October 14-16, 2011. Furniture will be removed from over 150 of the hotel's sleeping rooms and manufacturers will set up complete stereo systems for attendees to audition. You are encouraged to go from room to room, have a seat and casually listen. In fact, feel free to bring your own iPods, discs or records to the show, as most exhibitors will be more than happy to play one or two songs of your favorite music."

cheers, j
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 04:20:32 pm by jaybeerman »

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: Rocky Mountain Audiofest 2011
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 10:51:06 pm »
I'll be going Saturday or Sunday morning.  It is surprising how often the RMAF is the same weekend as the GABF, but not this year!  (Looks like next year though.)
I'll be hooking up with Rick Craig of Selah Audio.  We are redoing the basment and I'm going to build some of his kit RC3R speakers for the mancave.
Lots of really expensive stuff too.
Brew on

jaybeerman

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 08:09:04 am »
I'll be going Saturday or Sunday morning.  It is surprising how often the RMAF is the same weekend as the GABF, but not this year!  (Looks like next year though.)
I'll be hooking up with Rick Craig of Selah Audio.  We are redoing the basment and I'm going to build some of his kit RC3R speakers for the mancave.
Lots of really expensive stuff too.

Enjoy the show.  I haven't been, but I’ll have to fit it into the schedule one of these days.  those kits are pretty cool, I like that they provide all the info for the cabinet.  so far I have two semi-dedicated listening areas, but I swear one day I'll get one full dedicated listening room.  cheers, j

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 09:34:24 am »
It's a fun show!  Looks like we'll be going on Sunday morning.
Brew on

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 09:55:59 am »
As an audio professional for over 45 years, I sometimes cringe at some of the things in the high end consumer audio world.  Some of it is great and well thought out.  But a lot of it is just snake oil.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 10:26:29 am »
What you don't like special wood and gel isolation feet for cd and record players that impart a warmer richer sound to your music for a bargain price of $200? :)
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

jaybeerman

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 10:30:43 am »
As an audio professional for over 45 years, I sometimes cringe at some of the things in the high end consumer audio world.  Some of it is great and well thought out.  But a lot of it is just snake oil.

much agreed.  i love to listen to the good stuff (might just be personal opinion) and the rest (dido) is good for a laugh

jaybeerman

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 10:36:03 am »
What you don't like special wood and gel isolation feet for cd and record players that impart a warmer richer sound to your music for a bargain price of $200? :)

isolation = good, many people scoff but isolation is good (of course all things good have to be ruined by folks trying to fleece the flock)

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 10:37:30 am »
You can't enjoy good audio without cardboard egg cartons pasted all over your walls. :D

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 06:46:51 pm »

A wealthy friend of mine has a six-figure sound system that he mostly uses to listen to rare old vinyl. It's very cool and it does sound good, but I personally can't hear a reason for it to cost so much. He even has a gizmo to uh, "filter" the electricity that powers it.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 09:25:37 am »

A wealthy friend of mine has a six-figure sound system that he mostly uses to listen to rare old vinyl. It's very cool and it does sound good, but I personally can't hear a reason for it to cost so much. He even has a gizmo to uh, "filter" the electricity that powers it.

Power filtering is a REALLY good idea any time you have an electronic device that you would like to hang onto for a while. The power coming out of your wall socket is very dirty, lots of spikes and dips. And while it will probably not burn anything out immediatly, unless there is a power surge, it will shorten the life of your electronics. That being said;

a) 6 figures for a stereo is RIDICULOUS!!!!
b) you can buy any reasonably priced power strip (belkin or APS or what ever) and get plenty good power filtering for under 50 bucks.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 09:32:59 am »
As an audio professional for over 45 years, I sometimes cringe at some of the things in the high end consumer audio world.  Some of it is great and well thought out.  But a lot of it is just snake oil.

Power filtering is a REALLY good idea any time you have an electronic device that you would like to hang onto for a while. The power coming out of your wall socket is very dirty, lots of spikes and dips. And while it will probably not burn anything out immediatly, unless there is a power surge, it will shorten the life of your electronics. That being said;

a) 6 figures for a stereo is RIDICULOUS!!!!
b) you can buy any reasonably priced power strip (belkin or APS or what ever) and get plenty good power filtering for under 50 bucks.

A cheap power strip has a passive filter or possibly just a $.50 MOV in it. About the most it does it clip some of the over voltage spikes. A good active filter will run you hundreds of dollars, but IMO is not needed in 99% of electrical areas.  It will produce a pure (or close to pure) sine wave.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 09:34:55 am by bo »

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 09:57:10 am »
First we went to the Audio Artistry & Selah Audio room and put a deposit down on some speaker kits.

Then I showed SWMBO some of the $85,000 speakers, the one of a kind $150,000 turntable :o and the ceramic wire holder upper thingies to show her how frugal I was being   ;)
Brew on

jaybeerman

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 12:37:03 pm »
Then I showed SWMBO some of the $85,000 speakers, the one of a kind $150,000 turntable :o and the ceramic wire holder upper thingies to show her how frugal I was being   ;)

wise man