Author Topic: StarRaptor aka Scott Bennett  (Read 8603 times)

Offline starraptor

• 1st Kit
  • It's Good
    • View Profile
    • SNB Brewing
StarRaptor aka Scott Bennett
« on: July 15, 2011, 10:02:23 AM »
Who Are You: Scott Bennett (on the right next to my hero Todd Haug of Surly)

Home Town: SLC Utah
Current Town: Orange, CA

Homebrew Club: AHP Brew Club and BrewCommune

I've been a homebrewer since: 2010 (2 Brew on Premise 1 in 07 and 1 in 08)

Do you have a homebrewing disaster you'd like to share? Don't set plastic LME containers on hot stoves

What is your favorite style(s) to brew? Hoppy beers and Lagers, I'm known for my BIG IPL which is a Double India Pale Lager with crazy hop aroma.

What style(s) will you never brew? Who am I the Bruery? Never say you wouldn't brew a style who knows you taste might change over time.

What was the first beer you ever brewed? On my own, a Mr Beer IPA that I named after my daughter to be.
How did it turn out? Cidery mess

What is your favorite beer recipe? My BIG IPL

Are you a BJCP Judge? No, but I do judge in the club competitions.  Getting certified is in my plans

Do you have a good beer judging story you'd like to share with the rest of the homebrewing world? I think people feel that beer judging must be great because of all the good beer you get to try.  Truth is for every great beer you get to have 2-3 bad beers some downright undrinkable.  The worst beer I've judged to date smelled and tasted like horse droppings.

Do you have a favorite homebrew trick or gadget that you've found to make your beer better/brewing easier, etc? I have a ratcheting wrench from sears that is 7/16 on one side and 7/8 on the other

Describe your brew system. Currently working with partial mash but working on building an all grain system.
I serve my beer out of the keezer I built or as I call it The Indy Crate

How frequently do you brew (times/month or /year)? 1-2 times a month

What is your favorite malt? Victory!
Why? It creates winning beers 

What is your favorite hop? I love the big C hops from the Northwest (including citra) I’m also a fan of Simcoe and Amarillo 
Why? I over west coast American IPAs and I lived in the northwest for 5 years

Do you have a favorite or house yeast?  The yeast I use the most of is probably WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast
What qualities do you like about that yeast? It’s highly attenuative with low esters that might otherwise get in the way of the hops.  It’s also the Surly house yeast.  I’m also I big user of WLP001 California Ale, WLP670 American Farmhouse Blend, WLP840 American Lager Yeast (Used in BIG IPL) and WLP320 American Wheat

Can you send a picture or two of some labels you've created for your homebrew?
Some of my favorites

Do you have any pets or kids named after beer styles or ingredients? No but I have beers named after family members

How many medals have you won from homebrew competitions? To date; I’ve won one club competition, the 2011 Karl Strauss Pro Am Competition and placed 2nd in Light Lagers at the OC Fair.  I’ve also collected an editor’s choice from BYO in this years label contest for my Bourbon Barrel Aged Wookiee Label

Do you brew alone, with friends or with someone you live with? Mostly with my dog DG, though I have brewed with other several times

Are you an indoor or outdoor brewer? Outside in my garage

List some of the names you've given your beers. Which is your favorite?  Imperial Rhino Stout (IRS) and Sydnie IPA

Find me at Facebook.com/SNBBrewing
Brew Stats
2011: 92.13 Gallons
2010: 94.73 Gallons
Lifetime: 199.24 Gallons
Total Brews: 49

Last Brew: October 9, 2011 - DG's Mild and DG's Peach Farm (Mild and Farmhouse Ale)

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
    • View Profile
Re: StarRaptor aka Scott Bennett
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 06:39:01 AM »
I love the keezer. Nice work! And welcome to the forum.
Mark Gres

Offline euge

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 09:34:18 AM »
Keep up the good work! Welcome to the AHA forum...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline chezteth

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 10:21:55 AM »
Nice work on the keezer and the labels.  Welcome to the forum!

Happy Brewing,
Brandon

Offline starraptor

• 1st Kit
  • It's Good
    • View Profile
    • SNB Brewing
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 01:22:05 PM »
Thanks for all the welcomes
Brew Stats

Last Brew: October 9, 2011 - DG's Mild and DG's Peach Farm (Mild and Farmhouse Ale)

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
  • Kit B - Bottineau Prairie, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 01:43:11 PM »
Welcome!

Do you visit MN, often?
-    Head Cook & Bottle Washer    -
-      Bottineau Prairie Brewing      -

FBDU: Prairie & Northwoods Mobile Superintendant

Offline starraptor

• 1st Kit
  • It's Good
    • View Profile
    • SNB Brewing
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 08:47:42 AM »
I visit MN as often as I can.  In fact I just got back the other day from this year's SurlyFest
Brew Stats