Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Secondary in Keg?  (Read 4404 times)

Offline spowlison

• Cellarman
Secondary in Keg?
« on: October 17, 2011, 03:22:37 pm »
Would there be any harm in cold-conditioning a beer for secondary fermentation in a keg? I was thinking I'd save myself a step in the process that way and just carbonate the keg once it's had a few weeks. The only thing I can imagine is that there may be a little extra debris in the bottom that I'd have to pour out with the first few glasses. Is it that simple or am I missing something?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Secondary in Keg?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 03:28:24 pm »
Yes, it's that simple.

Many people no longer use a secondary fermenter to save the step and to limit the number of times the beer is exposed to potential oxidation.

You could also leave it in the primary a couple weeks longer without any harm to let it drop more clear.

If you plan to put it into the keg and not carbonate immediately, you will want to make sure at a minimum you pressurize the keg to seal the lid.

FWIW every time I move a keg, I need to let it settle and then I get a murky pour for the first pint or so.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline spowlison

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 03:40:58 pm »
Cool thanks! I have gone the route of several weeks in primary, then right into the keg, and it's worked fine as well. The only reason I'm thinking of cold-conditioning, is that I'm going to brew a Dubbel, and most recipes seem to call for cold-conditioning. Maybe it isn't entirely necessary?

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 03:58:22 pm »
I don't have the experience of a lot of people on this site but for me, 2 weeks in primary and straight into the keg are standard for anything under 1.060.  Of course I check FG but 2 weeks at proper temp and it's usually there.  So, I basically secondary in my keg for a couple weeks and then serve (or just serve if I'm thirsty). 

Same for lagering.  Primary, keg and into the fridge for 6 weeks or so.  No glass or plastic secondary.

I throw the CO2 on at 20+ lbs to set the keg seals and then hit it once in a while to make sure it has pressure.  But, like you guessed, move the keg and you get cloudy beer for a bit again.  If I'm taking a keg somewhere, I keg and fine, let sit and re-keg to a fresh one.  Otherwise, it stays in the first keg.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 04:02:43 pm »
Cool thanks! I have gone the route of several weeks in primary, then right into the keg, and it's worked fine as well. The only reason I'm thinking of cold-conditioning, is that I'm going to brew a Dubbel, and most recipes seem to call for cold-conditioning. Maybe it isn't entirely necessary?

It's pretty unusual to cold condition a dubbel.  I've never done it and I don't think most people do.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 04:05:56 pm »
Agreed.  My recollection from BLAM is that the bottles are typically conditioned at warmer temps.

I would imagine a similar process is employed for kegs, when/if the beer is kegged.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 06:09:35 am »
+1 to secondary in the keg.
Dave Zach