General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

US-05 Yeast

(1/4) > >>

mrdrysdale64:
I have only used this yeast a couple of times now and want some feedback from people who have some experience with it.

I brewed a blonde ale 11 days ago and pitched two packages of the yeast after rehydrating in a half cup starter. The thing kicked off extremely fast. I had full fermentation within 12 hours or less. In three days the vigorous fermentation stopped. I still have it on the yeast and will probably rack it off this evening. The FG is a little lower than I wanted compared to when I use WLP001 but that's fine.

I will be brewing an American Amber this weekend and was considering putting the new beer on the US-05 yeast cake. Let me know your experience of reusing US05. The yeast is cheap but then again so am I.  :)

ndcube:
What size batch?  OG?

Two packs seems like overkill for 5 gallons and you may want to consider using half of the yeast cake and save the other half for another batch or more US-05 starters.

bluesman:

--- Quote from: ndcube on January 14, 2010, 08:53:51 AM ---What size batch?  OG?

Two packs seems like overkill for 5 gallons and you may want to consider using half of the yeast cake and save the other half for another batch or more US-05 starters.

--- End quote ---

+1 ... you only need one pack for anything up to about 50 - 60 GU's.

For the price it's not worth the hassle or the extra work to save the yeast cakes from US-05. JMTCW.  8)

blatz:

--- Quote from: bluesman on January 14, 2010, 08:57:26 AM ---
For the price it's not worth the hassle or the extra work to save the yeast cakes from US-05. JMTCW.  8)

--- End quote ---

yeah - unless I'm racking the same day as brewing AND using US-05 again, in which case I'll repitch some, otherwise, it goes to the big wort in the sky. 

US-05 does tend to attenuate about 2-3% more than 001/1056 for me, but you can adjust for that via your mash temp.

if you repitch, be sure to visit http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html to calculate how much slurry use - do NOT use the whole cake.

mikeypedersen:
I'm cheap too and often re-use any White Labs or Wyeast.  However, I'm also lazy which wins out when the yeast is a dollar a packet.  Personally, I don't think it's worth the hassel to re-use the dry yeast.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version