Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: history and a few thoughts on beer  (Read 1151 times)

jaybeerman

history and a few thoughts on beer
« on: October 17, 2011, 12:45:57 pm »
the following provided via Quote of the Day http://www.qotd.org/subscribe.html

A very sad event occurred on this day in 1814. At the Meux and Company Brewery on Tottenham Court Road in the parish of St. Giles, London, a vat containing 135,000 imperial gallons of beer ruptured with a sound that was heard miles away. As the waves of beer cascaded against other vats they also split open, a total of 323,000 gallons (almost 1.5 million liters) of beer was released. It isn't just a pretense of grief on the part of a long-time beer lover, as the beer broke through the brick walls of the brewery it destroyed a pub and two houses, eight persons were drowned or crushed in the London Beer Flood.

If God had wanted us to spend all our time fretting about the problems of home ownership, He would never have created beer. This is not to say that I am recommending that you totally ignore your responsibilities as a homeowner and just sit around all day with a can of beer in your hand. No indeed, I have long been a believer in purchasing bottled beer, and pouring it into a chilled glass.
     - Dave Barry

A good prince will tax as lightly as possible those commodities which are used by the poorest members of society: grain, bread, beer, wine, clothing, and all other staples without which human life could not exist.
     - Desiderius Erasmus, 1466 - 1536

I have a total irreverence for anything connected with society, except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the old men and women warmer in the winter, and happier in the summer.
     - Brendan Behan, 1923 - 1964

The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition claims that a moderate beer drinker — whatever that means — swallows 11 percent of his dietary protein needs, 12 percent of the carbohydrates, 9 percent of essential phosphorus, 7 percent of his riboflavin, and 5 percent of niacin. Should he go on to immoderate beer drinking, he becomes a walking vitamin pill.
     - Barbara Holland, 1933 - 2010

Beer, of course, is actually a depressant. But poor people will never stop hoping otherwise.
     - Kurt Vonnegut, 1922 - 2007