Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2 of 4 kegs keep over carbing ,need some good advise here  (Read 2857 times)

Offline beercheer4me

• 1st Kit
  • Brewing three years,
    • Wabash Vally Fermation N Ale
2 of 4 kegs keep over carbing ,need some good advise here
« on: October 16, 2011, 11:07:21 pm »
I have 2 of the 4 kegs that keep foaming up
Here are the beers
Flanders porter,gum ball head , Octoberfest lager, and rye IPA
The Octoberfest and rye IPA keep pressuring up ,
Here is what I did really petty normal kegging (  I thought ) all these beer in one day.
About a 8 days ago
Kegged let set a 30 psi for 2 days , shook each one for 20 seconds ,reset psi at 10 psi walk away
Then I check the beer yesterday the rye IPA is so foamy and Octoberfest is as well ,
Anyway I was thinking that I might take the air line and unplug it still it de- presureizies it self

basically want to degas the beer and make it flat and recarb
Thanks John
Do they make a device to use to put on keg to keg it from over carbing ?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 11:10:04 pm by beercheer4me »
ON TAP, Three Floyd's Gumball Head clone,Rye IPA,
Flanders Porter,Octoberfest Martzen Madness Lager
Brew Stand Clone Brutis Ten,25 ft cu Lager Box

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: 2 of 4 kegs keep over carbing ,need some good advise here
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 11:52:59 pm »
Do they make a device to use to put on keg to keg it from over carbing ?
Yes, it's called a pressure gauge. ;)  Seriously, I never recommend carbing at higher pressure, it just leads to problems.  If you are really in a hurry, set it to the proper psi for the temperature and the volumes of CO2 you want, then shake it a lot.  It will carb just fine, with no risk of over carbonation.

For your current problem, was the head space the same in the kegs?  If the two problem beers had more headspace, when you turned the pressure down there would have been more gas in those kegs which could have kept carbonating the beer.

If you are patient, I would vent the beer, wait, vent, wait, repeat, blah blah blah.  Eventually you can just let it sit at serving pressure/temperature for a few days and it will carb up fine.

If you are not patient, do the same as above but shake it every time you vent, it will drive the CO2 out of solution.

Let us know how you choose to fix it. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline beercheer4me

• 1st Kit
  • Brewing three years,
    • Wabash Vally Fermation N Ale
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 08:24:58 pm »
Thanks for the help, I figured that I was on the right track , I am going to disconnect the over carb kegs ,add try the wait and see,,,,,,method
Didn't realize what I did till it happens LOL go figure
New to this site.
I use BeerSmith.
I think the device that I am looking for bleeds off like a valve really not a gauge spindling valve maybe, when a keg is over carb it releases the excesses co2 like a bleed off valve, I'll do some more looking around
I think the next time I will set the regulator at 10 psi and leave it alone , right lol
If I find it I will let you know

ON TAP, Three Floyd's Gumball Head clone,Rye IPA,
Flanders Porter,Octoberfest Martzen Madness Lager
Brew Stand Clone Brutis Ten,25 ft cu Lager Box

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 02:57:40 am »
You can get or make a pressure relief valve that will vent if you go over a certain point, but really that's a waste since it will constantly be venting while you are pressurizing.  I suppose you could make one and hook it to your keg to continuously vent an overcarbed keg once you've removed the gas, but that seems harder than just pressurizing to the right level in the first place.  I have gotten beers ready in less than a day if it was already at serving temp, just by shaking at serving pressure.

Welcome to the site :)
Tom Schmidlin