Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: my new barrel  (Read 11587 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: my new barrel
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 09:17:02 am »
Denny's BVIP calls for an addition of Bourbon back to the beer
so with that, you could try to match the keg's contents and if
you found the oak character dwindling lower than you like,
you could always add back some spirals or cubes...but you could just
go for the wood exposure in your keg and think lengthy time...and you would
definately have a winner.
That's an excellent idea, I love it!  I got a bottle of the bourbon that was in the barrel (well, same batch anyway) so I can add some of that back.  I think BVIP just moved up the recipe list. :)

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/BourbonVanillaImperialPorter   ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 10:05:14 am »
Wow, very inspiring. I wonder if they would send one with a delivery to the local liquor store.  Just curious, how long can you go between fillings and how many fillings do expect to get from the barrel before you deem it a sour barrel?  Awesome, have fun Tom. I think I'm going to ask Santa for one of the 'age your own' kits. Looks like fun.
For what it's worth, they sell them on their website and will ship them.  When I put in a Portland zip it said it was only $15 to ship, which seems low to me.  If you really want one, that is probably the easiest way to go.

I'm not sure how long I can go between fillings.  It was empty for ~3 weeks they said, and still water tight, so in that respect it should be fine for a while.  But I think a bigger concern is the air in the barrel and any bacteria or wild yeast that may be in there.

I think if I keep it full and am otherwise careful I should be able to get more than 4 fillings out of it before it would go sour.  But I have a batch of Flanders on cherries (and Roeselare) right now, so that could get racked to the barrel in a month or three and sour it right.

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/BourbonVanillaImperialPorter   ;)
Thanks D.  Maybe I'll serve you some of it in June ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 10:47:55 am »
I saw this link posted - I stumbled on the bourbon release, but apparently hundreds of people waited in line when it was below freezing for the 7AM opening.  I got my bottle around 3PM.  It was crowded when I got there too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3LKI2JCb5I
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 12:48:58 pm »
Ron Price

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 01:40:00 pm »
Sour beer in a barrel is a wonderful thing.  Don't wait, once you've soaked the bourbon out with a batch or two go in there with the Flanders.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO