Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Barley Crusher  (Read 3177 times)

Offline wamille

• Assistant Brewer
Barley Crusher
« on: October 16, 2011, 10:35:42 pm »
My Barley Crusher is having problems crushing.  The non-powered roller will not turn.  It's only started happening recently.  Anyone else had this problem?  More importantly, has anyone had the problem and found a fix?

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Barley Crusher
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 07:26:29 am »
The black O-ring which usually ships with it has probably broken and is no longer 'driving' the passive roller.
BC folks say they only use it as a quality control measure to confirm that the passive roller will turn before shipping.
The raised bumps on the rollers are quite sharp and tend to give the O-rings the "death by a thousand cuts" treatment after a few batches--eventually the ring snaps and ends up in your grist

If the mill gap is set properly, then the grains will drive the passive roller during normal use.

You can buy more o-rings in the plumbing dept at HD or Lowes (plumbing / sink fixtures area) if you want, but they are not needed.   I recommend not getting them because I hate looking for the rubber pieces in the grist if one does snap.

If the passive roller isn't turning at all, then I'd disassemble the mill base and find out if there's any flour that has gotten in between the roller/axle and the housing.

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 10:10:11 am »
I turned the passive roller around and it helped a little bit. I reach under and turn it until it grabs now.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 10:16:43 am »
I turned the passive roller around and it helped a little bit. I reach under and turn it until it grabs now.

If it is binding you need to disassemble the mill and clean the spindles and bushings.  I have had to clean mine a couple times in 7 years.  I add a very small amount of silicone grease to each spindle while I reassemble it.  When I say small amount I really mean a small amount.  If you can see grease on the spindle its probably too much.

The rubber bushing is completely unnecessary if everything is spinning smoothly.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 11:16:02 am »
My Barley Crusher is having problems crushing.  The non-powered roller will not turn.  It's only started happening recently.  Anyone else had this problem?  More importantly, has anyone had the problem and found a fix?

I had this problem. Took the BC apart, cleaned and lubed several times. Still wouldn't grab the grain even with "encouragement" by reaching under and moving the passive roller.

Went the o-ring route. Got the #13 Danco o-ring pack from the faucet parts section at Lowes. Product #96730. Comes with ten. Now the BC works perfectly.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 12:25:27 am »
On thing with mills like that is if you re assemble them with just the slightest "tweak" in them the rollers bind up and the loose roller will not turn.  I had to deal with that on a monster mill we were upgrading a while back. finally said screw it extended the shafts and put gears on it.
Low Mo Brewing Company
Industrial Grade Beer Brewed For Professionals