Author Topic: Zymurgy online?!?!  (Read 17298 times)

Offline jarod7736

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
Re: Zymurgy online?!?!
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 12:28:36 PM »
I would love to be able to grab these and put the archive on my iPad.  Online access is great, but being able to have the entire archive at my fingertips on my portable device is amazing.  Make magazine does this, and it's great.  I get the digital edition before I even receive the print version.  That usually goes on a shelf to collect dust once it arrives.

Anyway, super cool, keep up the great work.

Offline garyg

• Administrator
  • Brewer
    • View Profile
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 01:04:32 PM »
We'll be adding iPod, iPhone, iPad and Android apps for Zymurgy in 2012.
Gary Glass
American Homebrewers Association Director
Boulder, Colorado

Offline kgs

• Brewmaster
  • San Francisco, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 05:31:34 AM »

Terrific! That will really complete it. I don't need printing if I can pull up a recipe (a la Epicurious) and use it in the kitchen.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 10:22:24 AM »
are back issues also available?
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline dbeechum

• Administrator
  • Brewmaster General
  • Pasadena, CA
    • View Profile
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 10:41:01 AM »
All of this year's are.

As time/money/labor is available, I believe the plan is to add previous issues.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 05:16:12 PM »
I am not a fan of eZymurgy.

I don't like Flash, and it only works with Flash.  I actually have a Flash blocker on my browser.

The sounds are annoying and completely unnecessary.  Navigation is bad as page loading times take a while (I have a 50Mb connection to the Internet, so that's not the issue).

I would have thought that rather than take a print magazine and cram it verbatim into a Flash file it would have been more advantageous and a better use of the medium to port it over to HTML instead.

I definitely won't get any value out of it.
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 05:22:45 PM »
I would have picked .pdf files. East to read and downloadable. But that's just me.

Offline jarod7736

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2011, 06:15:44 AM »
Why an app?  Why not just allow logged in users to download the magazine as a PDF?  As it is, I can't view the content on my iPad.  Flash is a terrible hog of CPU.  A PDF would allow the subscriber to view the content on a device even when they aren't connected to the internet. Again, i'm glad y'all are moving in this direction, and i'm just trying to give some constructive criticism.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2011, 06:24:25 AM »
How will errors in printing be rectified?  In particular, I'm thinking of recipe errors where the wrong units or amounts are specified.

Will the eZymurgy version leave the errors in place "warts and all" and the reader be responsible for finding corrections by reading subsequent "letters to the editor" or "corrections and omissions page" in subsequent issues?  Or will there be an edit  modification made to the original document?

Offline garyg

• Administrator
  • Brewer
    • View Profile
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 07:24:03 AM »
How will errors in printing be rectified?  In particular, I'm thinking of recipe errors where the wrong units or amounts are specified.

Will the eZymurgy version leave the errors in place "warts and all" and the reader be responsible for finding corrections by reading subsequent "letters to the editor" or "corrections and omissions page" in subsequent issues?  Or will there be an edit  modification made to the original document?

Corrections from the 2011 editions were incorporated into the e-editions before they were posted. We'll keep that up as we add more back issues.

I am not a fan of eZymurgy.

The sounds are annoying and completely unnecessary. 

You can turn off the sounds if you go to settings.
Gary Glass
American Homebrewers Association Director
Boulder, Colorado

Online mtnrockhopper

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 07:49:26 AM »
I like the ability to search all online issues.

I don't like that the search and zoom icons are very similar.
Jimmy K

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup when the old president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP: B0958

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2011, 07:57:05 PM »
I have apparently forgotten my username/password and the automatic reset feature doesn't work.  So I'll need to email the support addy when I have time to mess around with it.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Fermenting: Wit
On Tap: Lucifer's Hammer Golden Strong Ale, Dopplebock, Old Fuzzynut's Ale

Offline chris_norrick

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2011, 10:45:30 AM »
I was very excited to hear of the digital version! Unfortunately the implementation leaves a lot to be desired.

I echo some of the above comments about Flash. It is simply an old and bloated technology and as soon as any tech savy person sees it in use we cringe (I also have a Flash blocker installed). I would have been very happy with a simple PDF that could be easily added to my iPad. I searched and searched the confusing interface (poor icon choices) hoping for a download button. I couldn't find one.

I went ahead decided to give the Flash interface a try and ran into problems right off the bat. The top buttons wouldn't work. The only way I could navigate was to try and grab that little page curl animation in the lower right corner and drag my mouse over the page. Cute, but terrible user interface. After five pages the pages went blank. Ugg. I give up.

Good effort to try and merge into the digital age but it simply doesn't deliver. I'm sure the publishing company sold this to you as "cutting edge". That may have been true about 4 years ago but the rest of the publishing world has already moved past this type of digital magazine including MAKE Magazine that was mentioned above. They tried this kind of locked down web only version but eventually moved on to have both a nice/usable web interface and a download PDF option. I hope you can do the same. It is the future of publishing after all.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2011, 12:23:15 PM »
While I won't go into the Flash or not issues, I did try some of the things that you said didn't work...like the buttons at the top.  everything worked as it should.  I gather you're a tech savvy person, so maybe you can figure out why it didn't work for you.  But I can tell you that it isn't a problem with the overall format. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline theoman

• Brewer
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2011, 01:00:02 AM »
Dig it! Thank you! It's pretty cool to finally be getting Zymurgy when it's released. It usually takes a significant amount of time to make its way across the ocean to me.

I agree with some of the complaints about flash and stuff, but it's waaayy better than nothing at all. I can understand the fear of having something too easily duplicated and distributed like a pdf. There are solutions out there. Give it time guys, give it time.