Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Temp control question...  (Read 2734 times)

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
Temp control question...
« on: October 21, 2011, 08:59:12 pm »
I just bought a chest freezer to use for fermentation, and had a question on the temp control devices...  I was looking at Ranco and Love temp control units and had a question:  If I buy a 2 stage, can I wire the freezer to cool, and a space heater to warm using the same control? I mainly brew Belgian styles, and higher temps are important to me, so if it drops below a certain temp, the heater kicks on, and if it gets too warm, heater turns off, and freezer turns on. Is this right? or do I need two separate controls? Thanks in advance...
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: Temp control question...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 09:14:57 pm »
If I buy a 2 stage, can I wire the freezer to cool, and a space heater to warm using the same control?

Yes.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 09:24:49 pm »
You can use a thermowrap or a ceramic heater element with the second stage.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 06:31:19 am »
If I buy a 2 stage, can I wire the freezer to cool, and a space heater to warm using the same control?

Yes.
I think you would be better off to buy two single stage controllers.
To my knowledge two stage controllers ate not intended to heat and cool at the same time.
Also you have only one temp probe.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 07:07:47 am »

Yes.
I think you would be better off to buy two single stage controllers.
To my knowledge two stage controllers ate not intended to heat and cool at the same time.
Also you have only one temp probe.
I don't want to heat and cool at the same time, but if my temp rises above a certain point, the cooling kicks on, and if it falls below a certain point, the heat kicks on, but not at the same time. Thanks for the responses,
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 07:30:47 am »
Sounds good.
Pex supply has the best prices for Ranco controllers.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 07:57:55 am »
Sounds good.
Pex supply has the best prices for Ranco controllers.

This is good to know as I'm looking for another controller for heating carboys this winter. Thanks for the tip.

I'm using a fermwrap to heat my carboys as my cellar dips into the upper 50's during winter months.
Ron Price

Offline jnagurney

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 09:47:48 pm »
I did exactly what you're describing using a Love TS S2 and it works great.  This controller has 2 SPDT relays for switching your freezer compressor and heater.  It will take 2 thermistor inputs, but can operate both relays off a single input.  For a heater I used that heat tape your local hardware store sells to keep pipes from freezing.  Will require some G-rated wiring so you should be comfortable with that.

Offline PSUhomebrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 08:09:04 am »
I use a Johnson 2 stage for my fermentation fridge. When you set the controller up you set your temp for heating, cooling and the differential. I have also use it with 2 carboys at the same time, just put the probe between then and insulate. Havent had any issues yet.