Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Disassembling cobra taps for cleaning?  (Read 6914 times)

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
Disassembling cobra taps for cleaning?
« on: October 22, 2011, 04:47:45 pm »
Do you guys disassemble your cobra taps for cleaning/sanitizing, or just loosen them and let them soak?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Disassembling cobra taps for cleaning?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 07:51:40 pm »
Clean? Soak? Not in a long time... But it's a good idea.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 08:41:07 pm »
Absolutely!  The silicone plunger of the cobra tap will become contaminated with a variety of organisms.  You do need to unscrew the unit and make sure that any accumulations are removed and the plunger is disinfected to the degree possible. 

I find that the silicone will become so embedded with 'stuff' that I have to abandon the thumb tap and replace it with another.  Since they are only a few dollars, its not a big deal to toss and replace it. 

Do take them apart after each keg's worth and give them a good cleaning.  That will extend their replacement interval.

Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 09:33:51 pm »
Wished I could buy parts for them.

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 07:20:28 am »
You need to open them up to let out the big chunks of slime that grow in there.   :o
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline mabrungard

• Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 10:18:52 am »

I also wish that were the case.  But in consolation, the price for a new plastic picnic faucet is already pretty low depending who you're buying it from.  I see that I can get them for $4 each.  Consider that the cost of just the silicone end piece and just set the extra faucet housing aside.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 11:06:26 am »
Every time the keg kicks, I disassemble and clean both the cobra tap and the QD.  It's too easy to do to let it slide.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 07:34:06 pm »

I also wish that were the case.  But in consolation, the price for a new plastic picnic faucet is already pretty low depending who you're buying it from.  I see that I can get them for $4 each.  Consider that the cost of just the silicone end piece and just set the extra faucet housing aside.

If I recall it right Foxx Equipment has an replacement parts.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 08:04:08 pm »

If I recall it right Foxx Equipment has an replacement parts.

Nope, unless I looked in the wrong place.

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 01:16:19 am »
Every time the keg kicks, I disassemble and clean both the cobra tap and the QD.  It's too easy to do to let it slide.

Yeah, I meant the quick disconnect of the line.  The reason I ask is that I tried to get extra parts for the quick disconnect having lost them somewhere during the disassembling/cleaning process.  When I asked the guy at Brewers Discount for parts, and told him how I had lost them, he couldn't believe that anyone would take them apart for cleaning.  So, I thought maybe there is some other way to clean them other than disassembling.  Hence, I thought maybe just loosening and soaking the quick disconnect would be sufficient.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 09:36:43 am »
I thought maybe just loosening and soaking the quick disconnect would be sufficient.

It might be.  Try it and let us know.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 09:41:39 am »
I disassemble and give all the parts a quick soak after each use.  I don't use the cobra tap very often and would rather spend a few minutes each time than find something really nasty 4 months later.

Paul

*** My normal edit to fix a typo.
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 10:10:30 am »
so does all this mean I am flirting with disaster by simply running a keg of hot PBW then cool idophor through the cobra taps after each use? Guess it's time to break everything down for a proper cleaning!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 10:49:40 am »
so does all this mean I am flirting with disaster by simply running a keg of hot PBW then cool idophor through the cobra taps after each use? Guess it's time to break everything down for a proper cleaning!

I broke my taps and QDs down the first time after using them for maybe 3 years.  They were very grungy inside! 

www.dennybrew.com

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 12:56:37 pm »

I broke my taps and QDs down the first time after using them for maybe 3 years.  They were very grungy inside! 
Well that's not very encouraging.  I run oxiclean through the lines after a keg kicks, let it sit for a bit, then rinse with water.  Then run Starsan through.  So my lines are probably gunked up then...
Jesse