Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: accidently priming in a keg  (Read 3632 times)

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
accidently priming in a keg
« on: October 31, 2011, 11:30:41 am »
I like to use the Party Pig dispensing system. Last night I accidently put it together without an important piece (restrictor) in place. My solution was to transfer it to a keg. So now I have kegged beer with priming sugar in it. I usually force carbonate only when kegging.
What setting (pressure) should I use? Let it sit at room temp and carb like primed bottles? I plan on taking this to a party 3 weeks form now so I have some time.
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: accidently priming in a keg
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 11:34:54 am »
Let it sit at room temp and carb like primed bottles? I plan on taking this to a party 3 weeks form now so I have some time.

This is my vote.  Let it sit at room temp for 2 weeks.  Then cool, put on the gas and see where it is.  Adjust pressure from there.

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 12:37:05 pm »
Yes...let the priming sugar ferment out in the sealed keg at 70 degrees. Then adjust accordingly.
Ron Price

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 01:04:30 pm »
It might be a good idea to hit it with a few PSI just to make sure the lid seals properly
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 01:54:36 pm »
And after it sits, blow out some of the yeast at the bottom, then rack to a new keg before you move it to chill.  Unless you don't mind if it's a bit cloudy.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 02:23:56 pm »
And after it sits, blow out some of the yeast at the bottom, then rack to a new keg before you move it to chill.  Unless you don't mind if it's a bit cloudy.
Is naturally carbonated beer in kegs typically a little cloudier?  I would think that if you just poured off the sediment in the first couple pints it'd be fine.  But I haven't naturally carbonated in kegs before, so I don't know.  I was thinking I wanted to try it though, but if I'm gonna have to do an extra step, I don't think I will.
Jesse

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 03:19:57 pm »
The main thing is that when he moves it to chill or to take it to the party he's going to, all of the sediment will get stirred back into the beer.  That's not going to come out in the first pint or so, it will be coming out all party long.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 06:21:21 pm »
It might be a good idea to hit it with a few PSI just to make sure the lid seals properly

yep- did that...

And after it sits, blow out some of the yeast at the bottom, then rack to a new keg before you move it to chill.  Unless you don't mind if it's a bit cloudy.

i'll pour off a pint after it has sat at room temp for 2 weeks. then i'll put it in the fridge for a week. i'll take the first draught or 2 when i get it to the party. i don't have enough kegs to transfer. it is only a little over 2 gallons at this point. it was on secondary hops for 7 days and transferred rather clear. shouldn't be too much sediment after chilling. whatever there is i'll be drinking!
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 06:33:01 am »
I'd put it in the fridge for a week, then pour off a few pints.  Same as cold crashing.  You'll get the most sediment possible.
Dave Zach