Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bazzoka in Cooler Style Mash Tun  (Read 3559 times)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Bazzoka in Cooler Style Mash Tun
« on: October 26, 2011, 06:00:35 am »
Does anyone use this:

in a cooler style mash tun?

If so, is the mess tight enough to filter out grain particles and will it maintain its shape with 12-20 lbs of grain on top of it?

Thanks.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

narvin

Re: Bazzoka in Cooler Style Mash Tun
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 06:46:17 am »
Yes, it works fine.

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 07:50:51 am »
The bazooka works great with the weldless bulkhead spigots for the coolers (whether the 10 gallon round Rubbermaid type or the 20.5 gallon rectangular coolers).  The mesh is perfectly sized (you'll still need to vorlauf to set the grain bed "filter") and does not collapse regardless of batch size. Just make sure the SS clamp keeps the braid tight onto the coupler--I've had my braid come off once during stirring  my mash (w/o using a SS clamp).

Having used both types of coolers, I strongly recommend the rectangular one over the round one since there's less grain bed compaction regardless of batch size and OG.  As a rule (learned from experience), you don't want the height to exceed the width of your grain bed (which, if it occurs, will cause grain bed compaction, loss of spaces between husk material, and will severely limit lautering speed).

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 07:58:29 am »
They work much better than the braid, IMO, although I use 2 of them in a tee configuration.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 08:00:50 am »
Thanks for the replies.  I have the 72qt Coleman Xtreme cooler ( blue one of course ).  The toilet supply braid is getting pretty beat up and I just happen to have this bazooka screen and thought it would work great.

You use ss clamps on this?  I would assume the threaded connection would hold.

Last question, does it matter what type of SS coupler I get ( i.e. 304 vs 315 stainless ) as long as it's the right size and stainless ( i.e. not galvanized )?  The LHBS doesn't carry couplers so I was going to hit Home Depot and pick one up.  I could order one online, but I was hoping to get the mash tun back together by this weekend ( and don't want to pay $7 shipping for a $4 part ).

Thanks.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 08:02:57 am »
Just use a  nylon coupler. I doubt that the big box stores will carry much SS anyway.

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 08:30:16 am »
I use this with the weldless bulkhead spigot on my xtreme, works great, no collapse and no clamps it just screws right into the bulkhead, easy peasy. I posted some picts when i first assembled it and its been working great

xtreme mash tun

cheers!
Tonyp
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 09:04:53 am »
Yeah, you'll want to use the SS clamp on the close SS nipple (no pipe between threads) to which the SS bazooka braid actually attaches.  Most of the SS bulkheads already have the coupler included, otherwise use the nylon one as suggested.
Look again at the pictures that you and Tony have posted. 
If you don't use the SS clamp, then you'll eventually knock the braid off the nipple while stirring the mash. I eventually did.
If that happens, you'll have to put on long PVC gloves and stick your hands into the hot mash to reattach it safely.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?keyword=pvc+gloves&selectedCatgry=SEARCH+ALL&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&Ntpc=1&Ntpr=1 
Important:  Don't try to do it w/o protecting the skin somehow--it only takes a second or so to get serious burns at mash temp. 
http://www.accuratebuilding.com/services/legal/charts/hot_water_burn_scalding_graph.pdf

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 11:01:39 am »
I've used a Bazooka in my 152 qt. cooler with up to 75 lb. of grain.  It worked great, although in my "normal" 48 qt. cooler I find the braid works better.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline boapiu

• Cellarman
  • Arlington, TN
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 02:20:15 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  I have the 72qt Coleman Xtreme cooler ( blue one of course ).  The toilet supply braid is getting pretty beat up and I just happen to have this bazooka screen and thought it would work great.

You use ss clamps on this?  I would assume the threaded connection would hold.

Last question, does it matter what type of SS coupler I get ( i.e. 304 vs 315 stainless ) as long as it's the right size and stainless ( i.e. not galvanized )?  The LHBS doesn't carry couplers so I was going to hit Home Depot and pick one up.  I could order one online, but I was hoping to get the mash tun back together by this weekend ( and don't want to pay $7 shipping for a $4 part ).

Thanks.

Just me but, I am a neubee. Try it the quick way just this one time. It appears you got a date with some hot mash and can't afford to wait. Then order the stuff you want. You will rest easier knowing that the clamps are just what you always wanted. After all, this is your beer. and won't it taste great when it is ready. - not a question
Beer is an ancient beverage that has been consumed as part of a balanced diet for centuries - it contains the goodness of sprouted grain extracted into rich liquid and fermented to produce a nutritional 'liquid cereal' beverage.