Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How many builds for a starter?  (Read 1119 times)

Offline boapiu

• Cellarman
  • Arlington, TN
How many builds for a starter?
« on: October 25, 2011, 04:36:50 pm »
I'm just experimenting with a yeast starter and have added a second serving of wort which resulted in an additional day or two of activity. Now things have stopped and I added another serving of wort and am waiting to see if more fermentation and yeast growth occurs. I don't plan to brew again for about a week or so. Can this starter keep going through this cycling until then? I read in one of the brewing bibles about a starter that had been build up several times but there was no information about how this was done and what, if any, was the limit. My intention is to increase the pitching rate without having to buy so many vials of liquid yeast. This starter was from new vial of liquid yeast. Thanks.
Beer is an ancient beverage that has been consumed as part of a balanced diet for centuries - it contains the goodness of sprouted grain extracted into rich liquid and fermented to produce a nutritional 'liquid cereal' beverage.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: How many builds for a starter?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 08:55:03 am »
it depends on the gravity of the wort you are pitching into finally. Generally if you are stepping up a starter you want to pitch the tube of yeast into say 1 qt (or litre if you prefer) of 1.030 wort and when that is complete cold crash, decant the liquid and add another 1 or 2 quarts, complete, crash, decant, repeat.

That being said I think that if you need that much yeast it might make sense to brew a 5 gallon batch of 1.030-1.040 beer and use the eyast cake from that. Unless your making lagers in which case someone else will have to chime in as I have not done one of those.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce