General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Yeast Farms

(1/4) > >>

mikeypedersen:
Hey all you yeast farmers.....How many different strains do you have on plates or slants at home?

How much space does that take up?

It seems like this would be an interesting side of the hobby to get involved with......Not sure how much more space I can claim for brewing stuff with the GF though...  ::)

hokerer:
I've only just started so I've only got five varieties.  I keep three slants of each (probably going to back that down to two per).  As far as space, each vial that holds the slant isn't a whole lot bigger than a chapstick.

Kaiser:
I just signed up to maintain the club's yeast bank. That should give me many more strains. So far I have about 10-15. Some might be dead though.

It all takes only a few plastic containers in which I keep the slants and stabs. Biggest problem is remembering to renew them about every 6-12 month.

Kai

roffenburger:

--- Quote from: Kaiser on January 15, 2010, 11:33:19 AM ---I just signed up to maintain the club's yeast bank. That should give me many more strains. So far I have about 10-15. Some might be dead though.

It all takes only a few plastic containers in which I keep the slants and stabs. Biggest problem is remembering to renew them about every 6-12 month.

Kai

--- End quote ---
Kai,
Have you considered placing you slants under sterile mineral oil after you grow them up? They will keep longer this way.

mikeypedersen:

--- Quote from: Kaiser on January 15, 2010, 11:33:19 AM ---I just signed up to maintain the club's yeast bank. That should give me many more strains. So far I have about 10-15. Some might be dead though.

Kai

--- End quote ---
That's pretty cool of you Kai.  So, when someone wants a certain strain, you will grow a small population for them and then give it to them to make a starter?

Maybe that's something my club should start looking into......

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version