Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 3 Gallon batch questions  (Read 8008 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: 3 Gallon batch questions
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 12:45:00 pm »
If you have a consistent undershoot you can scale up the base malt by a quarter pound or so or add a little light DME.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2011, 02:27:22 pm »
its not so much that i wouldn't put 3 gal in 5 gal keg. it is the room of a 5 gal keg if i am only brewing 1-2.5 gallon batches.  i have nearly worked out a way of kegging in 1 gallon apple juice bottles and still like the tap systems i have seen people make for the 5l kegs.  my new thought though is using the 2 gallon/8liter hdpe spray tanks for chemicals.  still playing.
Don AHA member

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2011, 04:31:16 pm »
its not so much that i wouldn't put 3 gal in 5 gal keg. it is the room of a 5 gal keg if i am only brewing 1-2.5 gallon batches.  i have nearly worked out a way of kegging in 1 gallon apple juice bottles and still like the tap systems i have seen people make for the 5l kegs.  my new thought though is using the 2 gallon/8liter hdpe spray tanks for chemicals.  still playing.
Just bottle it at that point dude.  3 gallon kegs are expensive, but I really want one.  Could put it on the hump in my serving chest freezer.
Jesse

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 07:42:52 pm »
Just bottle it at that point dude.  3 gallon kegs are expensive, but I really want one.  Could put it on the hump in my serving chest freezer.

I bought a Tap-A-Draft system and have not regretted it. Very simple, space-conscious kegging alternative. We have a humongous fridge, so that helps, but the PET bottles that come with it are very compact. From a 3-gallon batch, I filled one Tap-A-Draft and bottled the remainder for give-aways.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 08:53:50 am »
I also use a Tap-a-draft for small batches, the only problems being that they require natural carbonation, so you have to be careful not to move them or you will get yeasty beer, and the pressure varies depending on how much CO2 is left in the canister.

The Tap-a-draft would be improved if someone sold a carbonator cap for these larger bottles and an adapter for a paintball CO2 tank to connect to the tap head.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 09:53:42 am »
i have thought about the tap a draft.  that is what prompted me to use the apple juice bottles.  i would like to not have to buy co2 cartridges and use a tank instead.  the current system i have is the apple juice bottle with two holes drilled in the cap. then rubber grommets with hose barbs in these.  on the inside i hook up a small hose and the outside of the other barb to co2. i have not actually hooked up to co2 yet but i have pressure tested and checked operation with air.  just need the valves to make it work

even with small batches it is a hassle to bottle.

i made a four gallon batch and kegged 2 gallons for our christmas party in a new spray tank. worked great but one time shot since it was pressurized with air for dispensing.  when i can use co2 on this it will be perfect
Don AHA member

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2011, 12:27:36 pm »
I also use a Tap-a-draft for small batches, the only problems being that they require natural carbonation, so you have to be careful not to move them or you will get yeasty beer, and the pressure varies depending on how much CO2 is left in the canister.

The Tap-a-draft would be improved if someone sold a carbonator cap for these larger bottles and an adapter for a paintball CO2 tank to connect to the tap head.

According to the manufacturers, it is possible to force-carbonate in Tap-a-Draft (though I haven't tried this): http://www.sturmanbg.com/tap-a-draft/faqs

That said, I am hoping the next couple of years bring more alternatives related to storage and serving.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline malzig

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 12:40:17 pm »
According to the manufacturers, it is possible to force-carbonate in Tap-a-Draft (though I haven't tried this): http://www.sturmanbg.com/tap-a-draft/faqs

That said, I am hoping the next couple of years bring more alternatives related to storage and serving.
Yes, I've done that and it works.
I should have been more clear and said that I wished there was a way to force carbonate in the bottles efficiently.