Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing This Weekend - 10/21 Edition  (Read 5583 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What's Brewing This Weekend - 10/21 Edition
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2011, 09:48:09 am »
After 16 years of all grain brewing I finally got around to building a cooler mash tun from a 48 qt Igloo with a copper manifold.  I did a "wet" run yesterday and without grain the manifold flows like my weepy neighbor when she drinks.  So later today I may do an all cascade rye IPA with my new toy.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2011, 03:50:15 pm »
I just managed to make a 1.054 All Grain Brown Ale and it's in da fermenter on
an S-04 Yeast cake...
A good brew session went 5 hrs from set up to cleaned up....not shabby.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2011, 05:25:57 pm »
I have a head a cold but the wife informed me I'm slacking on brewing weizen.  She has only one hefe and some American wheats.  I managed to brew a dunkelweizen, this time I mashed 2lb of Vienna malt on the stove and boiled it down to bring some caramlized flavor to this brew.  I was inspired by a kit cream ale that had some LME, I bottled it a couple days ago and it had a nice caramel flavor.

Update, I slowly boiled the 2gal of wort from mashing 2lb of Vienna, down to 1/2gal.  Then I added this to the main wort.  I had to leave for a few hours and had planned to just keep the main wort warm while I was gone, but with a lid on the kettle it actually boiled on a low setting on my stovetop.  When I got home it had the look of a wort that had been boiled a good while, eggdrop soup from the wheat protein.  It'll probably be a clear krsytalweizen but oh well.  I finished the boil on propane so I could get a decent conversion of my hops whch I hadn't added before leaving.

All in all, a very unusual process but I'm still hoping its beer.  For my wife's sake anyway.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 06:29:16 am by tomsawyer »
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2011, 12:59:28 pm »
Brewed Ron's and mine award winning doppelbock.  Found that I had a problem with my mill.  I have been getting less efficiency over the last few batches.  Come to find out, my mill gap was wide enough to drive a truck through (albeit a very small truck ;))  I need to see if I can clean it and reset it.  If not, time to chuck the old Corona and get a Barleycrusher. (should do that anyway ::))
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2011, 10:35:42 am »
Didn't see a thread for this weekend....so FWIW, I brewed a ten gallon batch of Jealous Helles yesterday and she is gurgling away at 48F on S-23 slurry collected yesterday from a prior lager batch.

A lager for Christmas....

Cheers.

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"