Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing This Weekend - 10/28 Edition  (Read 8285 times)

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
Re: What's Brewing This Weekend - 10/28 Edition
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2011, 09:09:15 pm »
I'm going to smoke some malt this weekend for a brew session in a couple of weeks.  I went to Portland last weekend and picked up a sack of Best Wheat Malt, Crisp MO, and GW Washington Select.  I'll smoke some of the MO, probably with apple or alder.  I'll probably also transfer a Flanders red to secondary so my wife will stop bugging me about the cherries in the freezer.  Some kegging and cleaning to do too . . . I don't know how much I'll get done.

man I was so disapointed. I called GW about the california select and asked where it was malted and they said it was transported up to washington for malting. I was hoping to reduce my footprint with that stuff but it would actually be a smaller footprint if I ordered the washington select as that only have to come down coast to CA rather than up and then down. grrr.
Yeah, I had to go to OR to get it.  No one around here carries it, or the Crisp MO or Best Wheat either.  But I'm not including the travel to and from Portland in the cost, we were going to visit family anyway.  It was 18 minutes door to door from their house to Brew Bothers.
I was going to ask where you bought your grain in Portland.  Brew Brothers has a great selection and they move a lot of product so I'm confident most is pretty fresh. They get really busy though so that's part of the reason I finally got a grain mill last week. Now I can get in, get out and get on to brewing.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2011, 11:38:29 pm »
I was going to ask where you bought your grain in Portland.  Brew Brothers has a great selection and they move a lot of product so I'm confident most is pretty fresh. They get really busy though so that's part of the reason I finally got a grain mill last week. Now I can get in, get out and get on to brewing.
They opened at 10 Saturday, I was there by 10:15.  Not busy at all :)  I'll probably go back next time (or every time) I'm in Portland, it's a short enough trip from my inlaws' house that any time I need anything it will be worth it.  I'll probably need at least some MO by Christmas, maybe some pils malt too.  We'll see what I get brewed in the meantime.  Good store though, nice people.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2011, 06:48:42 am »
Just bottle-washing, organizing my brewing shelves, and perhaps a wee bit of "research."
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2011, 01:51:45 pm »
Changed my plans when I noticed WY1469 was available again.  Couple different batches of bitter coming up!  Love this stuff!

cheers--
--Michael

Such a great yeast. I'll be using it in a few weeks for a nut brown and then the TTL after that.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2011, 05:36:53 pm »
In an effort to use up some odds and ends, I picked up 9 lbs. of base malt and a sachet of US-05.  I'm  looking forward to doing something that isn't as meticulously planned out as usual.  It will probably be in the vicinity of a hoppy American amber.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2011, 10:41:03 pm »
Well I have grown up a good starter of WLP 940 and got the Negra Modelo wanna be
blues out....so in the mornin, I will proceed toward those ends...(hopefully)

I keep telling myself lager just is NOT worth the extra work..but who knows, this may be
the bell ringer that keeps me doing lagers....
Edit:.  1.052  og
Cooling down to lager pitch temps at this time looks nice  ;D
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 05:25:25 pm by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2011, 11:37:51 pm »
Time to do Chris Colby's "Cranberry Zinger" for Thanksgiving.

That sounds delish. I want to try my first pumpkin ale. It all depends on homework and birthday events though so we'll see.

Cranberries were on sale at Publix for $.99 /12 oz.  It's just  a simple wheat beer with the  cranberries, oranges and honey.
Whatever is left, put on the bugs for a lambic. ;D
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline brontotex

• Cellarman
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2011, 03:01:49 pm »
kegged an IPA last night. Brewed the Roll In Ze Hay Hefeweizen today and tomorrow I'll brew Nachtmare Schwarzbier.

Offline passlaku

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2011, 03:17:25 pm »
Kegged my OctoberFiesta (used WLP Mexican Lager) and am brewed  another OctoberFiesta today.  Getting the beer down to lager temp before I pitch the slurry.

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2011, 03:52:00 pm »
Brewing a Belgian Porter/Winter Saison - going to throw in some dark candy syrup and ferment with White Labs Saison II
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2011, 04:36:01 pm »
OctoberFiesta (used WLP Mexican Lager)

love the name - creative!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2011, 05:18:40 pm »
kegged an IPA last night. Brewed the Roll In Ze Hay Hefeweizen today and tomorrow I'll brew Nachtmare Schwarzbier.
Ha, nice Young Frankenstein references!  I think Teri Garr in that movie is such a babe.
Jesse

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2011, 06:59:07 pm »
OctoberFiesta (used WLP Mexican Lager)

love the name - creative!
+1 post some details please 
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.