Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Passion fruit flavour  (Read 10506 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Passion fruit flavour
« on: October 25, 2011, 08:56:57 pm »
I had some Moon Man from New Glarus recently and I really loved the hop flavour in this APA.  I really thought that it had a distinct passion fruit/tropical fruit flavour.  I'm wondering if anyone could take a guess on what hops may have attributed this?

I brewed an APA recently with citra, sorachi ace and centennial and it's good but the flavours are more grapefruit/citrus than tropical/passion fruit.  It's good but not yet what I'm shooting for.  I've got a bit of simcoe (2 oz only) but I've never used it and I'm sort of afraid to after hearing all the disparaging comments on the "Brewing Network".  Sort of a separate question but is this a good hop or not?

Anyway, if you have a thought, please let me know. 
Thanks

jaybeerman

Re: Passion fruit flavour
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 09:05:09 pm »
do some reading on galaxy and rakau. see what you think, i've not had moon man.   simcoe is one of my fav hops and one of the most popular hops of the last few years.  cheers, j

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 10:13:48 pm »
I've had beers that have been super tropical in flavor with all Citra and all Columbus hops (two separate beers).  The Citra hops, however, seem to be quite different from year to year.  2010 was a good year, but I don't get the same level of tropicalness from the same recipe using fresh hops from 2011.  I'm not sure yet on this year's Columbus hops.  I haven't tried Tomahawk or Zeus yet but that's supposedly the same strain as Columbus, just under a different name.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 05:49:56 am »
I use a lot of columbus (in the form of CTZ from hop union) and I get some passion fruit like flavors but it is subtle. I'd think you would get more from Simcoe than CTZ. And definitely Citra has that tropical fruit character. I've heard Galaxy has that same bent as well.

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 06:17:20 am »
+1 on the citra; and the Nelson Sauvin have some weird tropical fruity flavour to me. 

Not sure what was said on the brewing network RE Simcoe,
but I love it combined with equal parts Amarillo.  Have fun.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 06:22:23 am »
Not sure what was said on the brewing network RE Simcoe,
but I love it combined with equal parts Amarillo.  Have fun.

They said that in some beers, Simcoe has a cat piss character.  It can if used to heavily, but used with other hops it makes a great beer  ( Pliny & Green Flash West Coast IPA come to mind ).
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 08:02:38 am »
Centennial should give you the fruity notes you're picking up on your APA.
Citra tends to be tropical fruity/passion fruit/apricot/mango-ish. 
Sorachi Ace is more lemony-peppery.

Simcoe is great, especially when used along with Cascade, Citra, Amarillo, Centennial.
IMO, keep them balanced i.e., don't do 3 oz of simcoe and 0.5 oz each of the others.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 08:19:23 am »
Interesting how different tastes are. My IPA is a blend of Centennial and Columbus and it is all citrus fruits to me with very subtle tropical/passion fruits, if any. I never think of Centennial or Columbus as fruity aside from citrus.

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 08:24:16 am »
I have a hard time understanding the negativity towards Simcoe. I suppose if you really overdid it it could be an overwhelming flavor/aroma. I recently made an APA with all Simcoe just to see what all the hype/negativity was about, and I love it. I pick up tropical and passion fruit flavors, along with a touch of citrusy character. There's also a bit of a resiny background note. Like richardt suggested, it would be awesome blended with Citra. Moon Man is a great beer. Let us know how it turns out.
Mark Gres

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 08:32:42 am »
I also love simcoe.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 10:33:46 am »
Simcoe is one of my least favorite hops.  Perhaps it is just personal preference.  And certainly different people pick up different things.  For example, some people are very sensitive to diacetyl while others can drink it all day and never know that it's there.  Same story with DMS (I'm a stickler for DMS).  So why would hops be any different.  I just don't like those darn Simcoes.  And it's funny.... I didn't really like Citra this year much at all, but in 2010 they were outstandingly excellent.  Very different.  Funny.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 08:28:53 pm »
I love Simcoe, don't get much tropical/passionfruit from it. Galaxy, passionfruit with citrus! Nice dual purpose high alpha hop. Recently crushed 2 kegs of an all Galaxy hopped AIPA and am kegging 2 more in the next day or two. Good thing I've got 5 more lbs. of it.  ;D  Hopsdirect sold out right after I got my last order. Hop harvest in Australia is Feb. and March. I'll be stocking up...  8)
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 10:06:26 pm »
Looks like I need to find some Galaxy.  Checked with my LHBS.  No luck.  In fact, they are saying they only got 2/3 of their entire order and have about 20 varieties that they are going to be short on.  Great.
I'm gonna have to milk my pound of citra for a while :(

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 04:23:43 am »
Looks like I need to find some Galaxy.  Checked with my LHBS.  No luck.  In fact, they are saying they only got 2/3 of their entire order and have about 20 varieties that they are going to be short on.  Great.
I'm gonna have to milk my pound of citra for a while :(

If you can't find any. let me know. I'll hook a brother up with a batch worth.  8)
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 08:58:55 am »
also check out Ivanhoe. it's an heirloom california cluster type hop. available from seven bridges or direct from the grower. Lots of pineapple/tropical aromas!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce