Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Leaving thermometer in carboy  (Read 3807 times)

Offline jbar

• 1st Kit
Leaving thermometer in carboy
« on: January 15, 2010, 03:24:37 pm »
Is it a bad idea to leave a sanitized thermostat probe dangling down into my carboy while my beer ferments? I would like to just be able to turn it on and know what the fermentation temps are. I wonder if this will cause a seal problem with my blow off tube / airlock... Was wondering if anyone had thoughts on it.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Leaving thermometer in carboy
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 03:25:53 pm »
I thought about doing it but have never done it.  I can't see how it would cause any problems as long as the probe was made for submersing in liquid.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 03:28:08 pm »
Most probes that I know of have a weak spot for liquid at the juncture between the probe and wire.  Just a heads up.

Why not just use a Fermometer?  Cheap and accurate....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 03:28:14 pm »
Those stick on thermometers are a lot less hassle and are accurate enough for brewing. I got 6 and they are all within 2 degrees f.

edit: Denny types faster than me :-\
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline jbar

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 03:30:50 pm »
haha wow fast guys. yeah im looking into buying some stick on ones, but was thinking of doing this until they get shipped. I dont really want to short out my thermometer, i just bought it!

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 03:31:50 pm »
There are also those Thermowells that are built into a rubber stopper and have a long SS sleeve that goes down into the fermenting beverage and gets a much more accurate reading that way (glass is a hell of an insulator).