Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Open Fermentation vs Closed Fermentation  (Read 14485 times)

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
Re: Open Fermentation vs Closed Fermentation
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 10:37:35 pm »
There is nothing scary about open fermentation as long as you can keep the fermentation room sanitary. This is much easier in a brewery than a basement. It also helps having means of monitoring contamination levels in yeast and beer.

Kai

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 06:31:35 am »
There is nothing scary about open fermentation as long as you can keep the fermentation room sanitary. This is much easier in a brewery than a basement. It also helps having means of monitoring contamination levels in yeast and beer.

Kai

You mean like a microscope...

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 07:42:46 am »
I think he's on the lookout for "things" and "stuff".  ;D
Ron Price

Offline hankus

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 08:55:09 am »
Mom and Pop german brewries as well as Sam Smith's use open technique but only 'til 3/4 fermented and co2 pressure and krausen begin to fall and then they go closed

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 09:03:48 am »

Not just a microscope but also selective growth media that can be used to grow contaminations while suppressing the yeast. While that cannot be used to make a real time assessment of the contamination levels it can be used to detect trends. Once you have enough contamination that you can see it with a microscope it might be too late.

My general advice is to start out with closed fermentation and get comfortable with the process and make some good beers. Once you feel confident and want to give a more open fermentation a try, go for it. Just keep in mind that you may be playing much closer to the edge of getting an infection in your beer. But maybe there is something about open fermentation that works well for some beers and the added effort and risk may be worth it. Unless we don’t shy away from it and give try we won’t find out. You don’t need a microscope or micro biology lab to handle open fermentation as a home brewer. Your palate should be sufficient.  The stakes for commercial brewers are much higher but many believe that it makes their beer better even though it increases the risk of contamination and requires them to create sanitary rooms.

Kai

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 10:14:25 am »

My general advice is to start out with closed fermentation and get comfortable with the process and make some good beers. Once you feel confident and want to give a more open fermentation a try, go for it. Just keep in mind that you may be playing much closer to the edge of getting an infection in your beer.
Kai

I guess I should rephrase what I said "kind of scares me". What I should have said is that open fermentation has some potential to develop an infection, therefore I am not willing to take that risk. I am more interested in developing new recipes and brewing processes that involve automation. I'm a gadget guy...I like experimenting with process controls.

There's nothing wrong per say with experimenting in open fermentation, it's just not where my interests lie. I would suggest researching The Brewery Ommegang's process. Maybe they will let you in on their techniques.  :-\
Ron Price

Offline anotherdrummer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2010, 10:35:41 am »
all i usually so is closed.  this was an accident or just plain screw up.  either way, i have it in my lager refrigerator at 55..i just don't know where the seal compromise is.  i'm not going to try and find out right now!!  :)