Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A belgianish IPA  (Read 7240 times)

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
Re: A belgianish IPA
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 07:49:54 am »
Just be sure to give it plenty of time to drop bright and clear. I have a keg on tap now and started drinking
it too soon IMO because it has really gotten nice towards the end of the journey. Wish I had
waited 3 more weeks before tapping.

I hear you Vert, I think I can manage to wait on this one. 

I used this yeast recently in a sorachi/crystal saison....I started drinking it right away it was so good.  You know, doing farm chores like putting up hay...I just kept telling myself  I should be drinking it young whilst working in the field ;)  It is still hazy and almost gone. :(

My belgianish AIPA is rumbling and blowing at 65 right now.  Cheers.

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 09:01:29 am »
Well I'm probably going against the grain, but I'm using Sterling to start the bittering, then hop bursting with Noble hops (Hallertauer, Saaz, Tettnang & S Goldings) towards the end.  Grain bill is split pilsner and pale, with a little wheat, and a pound of D45 syrup.  Fermenting with WLP550.  I didnt want an American IPA with Belgian yeast, so much as a Belgian Golden Ale hopped and bittered to IPA style.  It's going to be somewhat earthier, but I'll ferment it at 70 to get some fruit from the yeast.  It's called experimental for a reason I guess.

Offline andyi

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 09:04:16 am »

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 09:21:12 am »
Well I'm probably going against the grain, but I'm using Sterling to start the bittering, then hop bursting with Noble hops (Hallertauer, Saaz, Tettnang & S Goldings) towards the end.  Grain bill is split pilsner and pale, with a little wheat, and a pound of D45 syrup.  Fermenting with WLP550.  I didnt want an American IPA with Belgian yeast, so much as a Belgian Golden Ale hopped and bittered to IPA style.  It's going to be somewhat earthier, but I'll ferment it at 70 to get some fruit from the yeast.  It's called experimental for a reason I guess.

I really do like sterlings.  Your plan sounds good in theory   :-\
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 09:26:43 am »

Denny - still using this recipe?

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/BelgianIPA

Yep, although sometimes I use Chinook for bittering instead of Summit.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2011, 09:36:11 am »
I sampled" Xtra Gold - American Style Trippel Ale" at a HBCM last month. A nice beer from Captain Lawrence.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/12959/32269

"This beer is the result of the marriage between two very distinct beer styles; the Belgian Tripel & American IPA. We have taken the best qualities from both styles and allowed them to shine through. The fruity and spicy notes from the imported Belgian yeast strain & the pungent flavors and aromas of the American grown Amarillo hops flow seamlessly together to create this flavorful ale.  Straight from the Captain’s cellar to yours, we hope you enjoy."
Ron Price

Offline andyi

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 10:20:18 am »

Captain Lawrance was the recipe I was thinkng of.  From the podcast, the brewery uses WLP530 and raises it  upto 85F.  The brewer says WLP530 will not give him the flavors he wants at lower temps.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-captain-lawrence-xtra-gold-178144/#post2062494

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 01:09:07 pm »
If you aee using Wyeast 3711, wouldn't it be a Saison IPA?  ;)

I would like to try one with Sorachi Ace and Citra.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2011, 06:37:25 pm »
If you aee using Wyeast 3711, wouldn't it be a Saison IPA?  ;)

I would like to try one with Sorachi Ace and Citra.

:D You are right with 3711....does a french ipa sound odd?  saisonish ipa?  Belgium really is such a small country.... ;)

« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 05:38:46 pm by pinnah »