Author Topic: CD to mp3  (Read 4290 times)

Offline Joe Sr.

• Brewmaster General
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
Re: CD to mp3
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2011, 05:06:24 PM »
Who has the time?

Well...apparently I do.  I think it's one of those things, you either make time or it doesn't happen.  cheers, j

3 kids under five.  I have no time for anything.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

jaybeerman

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2011, 09:23:25 PM »

Ouch.  :) I love kids and don't have any, my wife has two - a daughter thats grown and a son thats a senior in high school.

I grew up with two younger brothers.  For a good portion of our childhood we didn't watch tv, but I can recall times that my dad would come home from work dead tired.  He would sit down on the couch, talk with my mom and listen to music while we ran around the house.  I'm guessing that's where I got my need to unwind via listening to music (at least in-part).  cheers, j

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2011, 07:29:09 AM »
Thanks, Denny.  I appreciate the advice from someone who's knowledgeable.

Any experience with an RCA to USB adaptor?

When I was transferring albums before (through the mic-in), my recollection is that I had to bring it in through an amplifier.  I can't recall for sure why (it's been a few years) and I was going at it ad hoc.  My assumption is that the unamplified signal from the turn table just wasn't enough to register without the amplifier.  I don't know if that would be an issue going with an RCA/USB adaptor.

JOE

Without seeing the adaptor, I's guess you would still need a preamp.  The output of a turntable is miniscule.  In addition, phono preamps apply a special RIAA equalization to the turntable signal.  without that a turntable won't sound right.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2011, 07:34:18 AM »
Well then that leads to the question:

If the analog recording technique used on vinyl records is better, could modern methods and materials be used to make the records more robust?  And convenient?

ANALOG RECORDING IS NOT BETTER!  In addition, pressing any recording to vinyl severely degrades the frequency response.  Especially the low end since the needle can't track a recording with full low end without jumping out of the groove.  I can make a digital recording sound just like vinyl...roll of the high and low end and add some distortion and hiss.  Voila!  Now, if you prefer the way analog sounds, fine.  But as someone who had to put up with the shortcomings of analog for many years before digital recording, there's no way I can say analog sounds better.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2011, 10:01:10 AM »
Thank you!  That's the way I remember it too.  I bought my first CD player in 1984.  I remember the CDs sounding orders of magnitude better than albums.  So much so that I stopped listening to my vinyl.  I was particularly blown away by Dire Straits Brothers In Arms, the first DDD album I ever heard.

I have a fairly substantial hearing loss now, so the difference in sound qualiity between 128k and 256k is pretty much beyond me, especially the higher frequencies.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 01:09:24 PM by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2011, 10:21:28 AM »
Interesting to see you say that digital is better than analog (I agree) Denny. But for years musicians and audiophile have claimed otherwise. I didn't understand it and thought- well I must have un-sensitive hearing... :-\ To me a quality mp3 sounds great on current average stereo equipment- which has improved vastly in comparison to the mass market devices available in the 70's. Though I still hear people claim that vacuum-tube amps sound the best.

I too have some degraded hearing due to: rock concerts, loud bars, gunfire and idiot friends who liked to blast their car stereos past the threshold of pain. I haven't been to a concert in years- hurts my ears. :P
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline Joe Sr.

• Brewmaster General
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2011, 03:08:06 PM »

Ouch.  :) I love kids and don't have any, my wife has two - a daughter thats grown and a son thats a senior in high school.

I grew up with two younger brothers.  For a good portion of our childhood we didn't watch tv, but I can recall times that my dad would come home from work dead tired.  He would sit down on the couch, talk with my mom and listen to music while we ran around the house.  I'm guessing that's where I got my need to unwind via listening to music (at least in-part).  cheers, j

Oh, I still listen to music.  We've got something on all the time.  Currently my reggae play list on itunes (wife is out).  Often jazz or blues on satellite radio. My wife is a musician, so music is ubiquitous in our household.

I just don't think I could make the time to clean an album, put it on the turntable, and then have to flip it and all that.  If I turn my back, someone winds up screaming and crying...  Or the kids would wind up scratching the albums.

jaybeerman

« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2011, 06:12:45 PM »

Oh, I still listen to music.  We've got something on all the time.  Currently my reggae play list on itunes (wife is out).  Often jazz or blues on satellite radio. My wife is a musician, so music is ubiquitous in our household.

I just don't think I could make the time to clean an album, put it on the turntable, and then have to flip it and all that.  If I turn my back, someone winds up screaming and crying...  Or the kids would wind up scratching the albums.

Joe Sr, I hear ya.  someday

denny, come on.  I know what you're saying BUT, you're addressing one factor in a discussion with many factors.  I have a very nice DVD/SACD player and I have a mediocre LP player - don't talk about numbers or anything else, just sit down and listen to the two.  They both have their pluses and minuses, but I can guarantee you that you'll like the Jimmy Guffre 3, 1961 on LP.  cheers, j

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2011, 07:15:09 AM »
I can guarantee you that you'll like the Jimmy Guffre 3, 1961 on LP.  cheers, j

I might love the music, but I guarantee you that the sound quality would put a damper on my enjoyment.  I can't tell you how many concerts have been ruined for me because I spent more time thinking about the poor sound quality than the actual performance.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2011, 08:39:40 AM »
So now lets talk about playback.  What are the best options for high quality audio.  Are there amps out there I can hook to my computer that will play both sets of speakers(indoor and outdoor)
I'd really just rather be brewing in sunny Carlsbad New Mexico

Offline Joe Sr.

• Brewmaster General
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
I've got a friend that swears by Sonos.  It will play your iTunes playlists remotely.  Not sure if it picks up other playlist formats.

I haven't been willing to spend the cash, but the wireless amps and handset controllers are pretty cool.  I think you can also control it from your iPhone with an app.

Offline euge

• Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2011, 10:24:55 AM »
I've got a friend that swears by Sonos.  It will play your iTunes playlists remotely.  Not sure if it picks up other playlist formats.

I haven't been willing to spend the cash, but the wireless amps and handset controllers are pretty cool.  I think you can also control it from your iPhone with an app.

I saw this last week. Pick up the wireless bridge and I think you can have surround-sound.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline mtnrockhopper

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2011, 06:27:02 AM »
petabyte hard drive
I think you could probably reduce the bitrate a little and be OK.  ;D

Then buy an ipod and fit one song on it.
Jimmy K

Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup when the old president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP: B0958

Offline dbeechum

• Administrator
  • Brewmaster General
  • Pasadena, CA
    • View Profile
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2011, 10:12:26 AM »
I've got a friend that swears by Sonos. 

Similarly, for $99 you can get an Apple TV box that hooks up to your receiver, will play anything off anyone's iTunes in the house, can be controlled from the phone, rent movies from Netflix and iTunes, play Youtube videos, etc.

And the AirPlay makes it truly awesome since you can fire up things like Pandora through it, songs on your phone/touch and video.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

jaybeerman

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2011, 03:18:14 PM »
I might love the music, but I guarantee you that the sound quality would put a damper on my enjoyment.  I can't tell you how many concerts have been ruined for me because I spent more time thinking about the poor sound quality than the actual performance.

I'm the same way to the point that my wife hates going to concerts with me.  Ok I guess we just have differing opinions.  I love music, it's my life, not my profession but definitely my life - I can hear the difference between a terrible recording (on LP or CD/DVD/SACD) and good recording and I can hear the difference between a CD and a LP, but I still like the sound quality of a good LP.  cheers, j