Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CO2 tank in the fridge?  (Read 47663 times)

Offline aninvisibleman

• 1st Kit
CO2 tank in the fridge?
« on: October 26, 2011, 08:31:02 pm »
I am just moving from bottling to kegging and will be keeping my kegs in an old kitchen fridge.  I have heard conflicting information about whether or not it is okay to keep the CO2 tank in the fridge.  I have seen some sources that have suggested not to do it but not really said why and seen some other sources that say that it is okay to do.  If it isn't something that i should do, what is the recommended way that I run the gas line into the fridge?

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: CO2 tank in the fridge?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 08:52:32 pm »
Plenty do, so you certainly can put it in the fridge. Pressure and temperature are linked, so the pressure guage will go down when the tank gets colder. The same amount of CO2 is still in the tank though, you're not loosing anything.

Edit: All of the small commercial beer fridges put them inside.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 10:56:52 pm »
Putting the tank in the fridge means giving up room for at least one more keg-the regulator takes more space than you think.

To drill a hole in a fridge is a little tricky but easily done.  Drill a hole on the inside that just penetrates the skin.Take a nail or other probe and poke around inside the fridge wall.  If there is just insulation take a hole saw and again just drill through the inside skin to make sure there's nothing in there.  Then you can drill through the outer skin, Push the gas hose through and attach fittings.  Seal the hole with some caulking and you're good to go.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline boapiu

• Cellarman
  • Arlington, TN
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 05:14:20 am »
If the fridge has one of those water hoses running into it for an ice maker or such perhaps you can remove the water line and run you Co2 hose in it's place.
Beer is an ancient beverage that has been consumed as part of a balanced diet for centuries - it contains the goodness of sprouted grain extracted into rich liquid and fermented to produce a nutritional 'liquid cereal' beverage.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 05:29:35 am »
I'll second what everyone has said so far.  I had a beer fridge on my porch for many years with the co2 tank placed in the fridge.  It worked just fine except the tank pressure was lower than at ambient temps.  It did take up a fair amount of space though.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 06:16:14 am »
+1 to above.  It's really up to you, your space limitations and what you want to do.  It will not hurt anything inside the fridge if you do not want to drill holes or don't have the room around the fridge.
Dave Zach

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 03:08:18 pm »
I will try to find where I read it, but at one time I remember a reputable source stating that, if left in the refrigerator, damage could be done to some internal parts (maybe a diaphram)... that said I've done both and never had any problems - although dialing pressure is easier when the tank is outside the fridge.
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 12:38:31 am »
I have heard from a couple people that keeping the CO2 cylinder cold (i.e. in the fridge) will use up more CO2 than keeping it outside the fridge. Perhaps the temperature/pressure difference is why but I have no technical explanation for it.

Does anyone else?
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2011, 01:03:57 am »
It won't use the gas faster, but it will "run out" faster.  At a colder temperature, more of the CO2 will remain as a liquid.  I haven't done the calculation, but I doubt it is a very big difference.

I find that my gauges work better if they are outside of the fridge, so I keep them and the CO2 outside.  Whatever works for you.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2011, 05:54:50 am »
It won't use the gas faster, but it will "run out" faster.  At a colder temperature, more of the CO2 will remain as a liquid.  I haven't done the calculation, but I doubt it is a very big difference.

I find that my gauges work better if they are outside of the fridge, so I keep them and the CO2 outside.  Whatever works for you.

Fridge temps. won't make any difference in how fast you use CO2. You're taking CO2 gas from the top of the tank. The bottom part is still liquid.

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 12:11:26 am »
Either way you're using up space that could be used for 1 more keg
Low Mo Brewing Company
Industrial Grade Beer Brewed For Professionals

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 08:11:43 am »
Either way you're using up space that could be used for 1 more keg

THAT'S pragmatic thinking!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 05:20:44 pm »
If it's in the fridge and you run out, bring it outside to warm up and you can finish the party. That said, mine is outside as I can......wait for it........fin another keg in the fridge.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....