Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Traded thanks (WTTrade: new/unused 5# Al CO2 tank for stuff)  (Read 10050 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Traded thanks (WTTrade: new/unused 5# Al CO2 tank for stuff)
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 11:17:18 am »
So... besides AirGas, where do y'all take your CO2 tanks to get filled cheaply?
I go to Central Welding, but they are limited to the Puget Sound area.

We only have one place in our little town.  5# is $18, 20# is $22.  (don't ask me)

I would guess the bulk of the price is the hydrostatic test fee and other maintenance costs and the CO2 really only costs a few cents a pound. the math works out to around 16.70 for tests, maintenance etc and .26 per pound for CO2.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 11:42:55 am »

We only have one place in our little town.  5# is $18, 20# is $22.  (don't ask me)

I would guess the bulk of the price is the hydrostatic test fee and other maintenance costs and the CO2 really only costs a few cents a pound. the math works out to around 16.70 for tests, maintenance etc and .26 per pound for CO2.

probably not - they usually make you pay separately for a hydro test if your tank is expired.  my guys told me the bulk of the price is the labor - doesn't take but a few seconds more to fill a 20 vs a 5lb tank, but it takes the same amount of time to prep, hence why its only a few dollarsr more for 20 - I think the 100lb tanks aren't much more than the 20s.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 12:09:09 pm »

probably not - they usually make you pay separately for a hydro test if your tank is expired.  my guys told me the bulk of the price is the labor - doesn't take but a few seconds more to fill a 20 vs a 5lb tank, but it takes the same amount of time to prep, hence why its only a few dollarsr more for 20 - I think the 100lb tanks aren't much more than the 20s.

only for filling, if you exchange there is no worry about the test fee. one of the plusses in my mind.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 02:41:15 pm »
I use  the welding supply store here, I think it's the only place in this area to fill tanks. But it is cheap.
2#=$6
5#=$8
20#=$12
50#=$20
Plus I was dropping off my 2 20# tanks and the owner asked what I used them for.  I told him, he said he could help and gave me a
tank that's probably 30# and one that's probably 35#, both filled at the 20# price.  That's why you look for a local operator.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 03:48:51 pm »
Have you taken him some samples yet? :)
Tom Schmidlin