Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: good recipe for first Doppelbock  (Read 3879 times)

Offline redzim

• Brewer
good recipe for first Doppelbock
« on: October 26, 2011, 12:02:35 pm »
So I'm currently fermenting a North German Pils (thanks for the recipe, HopfenUndMalz!) and planning a nice yeast harvest when it's done, and thought it might be time to try my first Doppelbock, which could be ready around Lent....

I'd like input on a good recipe... so far the ones I have that I would trust are the one on Kaiser's site (http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Imperator) and Jamil's from BCS.  Main different between the two is that Kai's is roughly 75% dark Munich, and Jamil's is about 2/3rds light Munich, with the balance of both being Pils and some caramels.   I'm leaning towards Jamil because I have plenty of light Munich on hand and won't have to lay out anything to brew this one... but if 90% of you say "it sucks... make Kai's!" then I will reconsider.

Or who has a better recipe than either of these two?

thanks
red

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: good recipe for first Doppelbock
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 12:35:00 pm »
I don't think you will find many people who will say any of JZ's recipes suck. I like to build mine around a blend of dark and light munich with a little pils (10% or so) malt for the enzymes (to ensure total conversion) and a touch of cara munich and maybe a small addition of carafa special to darken it up some.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 03:22:33 pm »
I used Jamil's recipe as a base for a smoked doppelbock.  The biggest change I made was performing a decoction mash.  It turned out very well.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 03:26:55 pm »
hard to miss. there is not much difference between those two. again plenty of munich and maybe some pils to ensure conversion esp. if using a lot of dark munich. just use enough to get your gravity where you want and use a clean lager yeast. 
Don AHA member

jaybeerman

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 03:27:16 pm »
go with the grain you have and use the kai technique - just a possibility

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 03:36:01 pm »
again plenty of munich and maybe some pils to ensure conversion esp. if using a lot of dark munich.  

this is very important - the DP on dark munich is usually 25-30.  

I personally like a mix of lighter and darker munich rather than all light - the darker contributes a deeper malty richness as opposed to the breadier type aromas and flavors that light munich contributes.  

no matter what you do though - it will be good! I've made them all light, mostly dark and several variations in between.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 04:52:56 pm »
Red, thanks for the shout out.

Never had JZ,s recipe.  Kai had some of his at the 2010 NHC, andc it was fantastic.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!