General Category > Kegging and Bottling

Do You Prime Your Kegs?

(1/4) > >>

skyler:
I brew in bursts. One month I will brew five batches, then I will brew nothing for the next month or two. And my gf and I don't drink enough to finish the kegs in time for the beer. So I frequently prime my kegs in order to save CO2 (well, in order to save a trip to LHBS to refill my tank). I have been shocked at how long a small amount of CO2 lasts when I have pre-carbonated kegs. I have wondered if I over-carbonate, and reduce the pressure, will the CO2 move from my keg into my gas tank? Mostly I am just curious how many of you prime your kegs, and if there is any good reason not to.

denny:
I did it a couple times but I didn't care for the sediment it created in the keg.  In addition, in my case I didn't see any advantage to doing it.

mikeypedersen:
I don't for 2 reasons.  First all the extra sediment that is created which isn't normally a big deal, but I have a commercial kegerater that holds 3 kegs and without fail, I will jostle all of them trying to get one of them out, stirring up the sediment.  The second reason is that some of my kegs don't seal with no pressure on them.  I don't think that priming would produce enough CO2 quickly enough to properly seal my keg.

I'm all for it if it owrks for you, I just don't do it personally.

zee:

--- Quote from: skyler on January 15, 2010, 04:17:47 PM ---I have wondered if I over-carbonate, and reduce the pressure, will the CO2 move from my keg into my gas tank?

--- End quote ---

the answer to this is a definite no. at 21c [69f] the pressure in your co2 tank will be about 838psi. standard corny kegs are rated to only 130psi, so you'd have keg all over your face long before you got co2 back in the tank.

dzlater:

--- Quote from: denny on January 15, 2010, 04:20:48 PM ---I did it a couple times but I didn't care for the sediment it created in the keg.  In addition, in my case I didn't see any advantage to doing it.

--- End quote ---

Why would this produce more sediment?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version