Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Under carbonated Imp Stout  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Tommy C

• 1st Kit
Under carbonated Imp Stout
« on: October 30, 2011, 12:30:23 pm »
I cracked open a bottle of my latest batch of an Imperial Stout and it was completely flat.  I don't want the whole batch to go to waste so what is the best procedure for re priming all these bottles and appx how much priming sugar should I add to each bottle?

Any insight on this I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks!

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Under carbonated Imp Stout
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 12:34:23 pm »
How long has it been carbonating?  What temperature?  Its possible it just has not been long enough or it may be too cold.

If it has been at least a month or more, and over 65df storage temp, I wouldn't add more priming sugar, rather I would add a little bit of US-05 or yeast slurry (with a dropper) into each bottle and recap.

If you add more priming sugar on top of what you originally had, you could create beer grenades  ;)

Keep in mind, big beer's yeast is often pooped and can take longer to carb, if they carb at all - hence why a lot of folks add new yeast at bottling.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Tommy C

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 12:42:12 pm »
It's been carbonating for 3.5 weeks around 65 degrees. Proportion wise what is the best amount of either us-05 or yeast slurry to add per bottle without the risk of creating beer grenades, something I fear as I did with 1 of my first batches I made?

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 12:50:18 pm »
is there any place in your house over 70df you could put the bottles?

Also, for a big beer without a fresh bottling yeast, 3.5 weeks is not that much - I would warm it up and give it 2 more weeks before going through adding yeast.

As far as adding - just a few granules is all - no worries of bottle bombs though - they will only be able to eat the priming sugar you put in.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline Tommy C

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 12:55:07 pm »
Sounds great, thanks for the advice.  Now I just have to be patient, I drank the flat one and it was tasty all it needed was some bubbles!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 03:28:41 pm »
I would check another bottle first, it could be that you had one that didn''t seal.  Other than that, do what Blatz suggests.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 03:52:20 pm »
The other thing to do is turn the bottles upside down a couple times to get the yeast back in suspension before you warm them up.

This, plus the warmer temp, is often all you need.

Of course, I opened two nearly flat bottles of tripel last night... 

Thank goodness for the 2-liter and CO2.  I had them carbed in no time.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 11:44:31 am »
The last time I bottle conditioned my Imperial Stout, it was flat as hell at 4 weeks.  Leave it at room temp, and just forget about it. 3 months after bottling, it was the best stout I'd ever brewed.  If you're priming a high abv beer, with flocculent yeast such as a dry english or california strain (as I did), and holding temp at 65, it will take a little time.  Be patient. RDWHAHB.