Author Topic: Pickling Lime  (Read 2385 times)

Offline blatz

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
Pickling Lime
« on: October 28, 2011, 01:06:30 PM »
Any idea what a level teaspoon weighs in grams?

Given the sensitivity of pickling lime, I am a little leery of my scale.  I know it won't be perfectly accurate, but I am just curious.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Pickling Lime
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 02:32:39 PM »
Phoenix, AZ

Offline mabrungard

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 03:10:25 PM »
I don't think that conversion applies.  The cited conversion appears to be for water, not a powdered solid.  There are a few variables involved in converting a mass measurement to a volumetric measurement.  And those variables differ for each mineral and its situation.  That is why I refuse to offer a conversion in Bru'n Water for volumetric measurement. 

With a mass measurement, the primary variable is the moisture content of the mineral.  That is a whole lot better than trying to use a volumetric measurement.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 03:14:01 PM »
So bing a hands on type, I went to the basement once my starter was cooled and on the stir plate.

1 tsp of Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime, loose scoop then leveled by striking off with a knife came to 2.59 grams on my 100 gram capacity scale call it 2.6 grams.  Only one test, should have done more and averaged.
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 04:02:48 PM »
Another way to do it is to weigh a level cup, which is 48 tsp, so you just divide the weight by 48.  It gives a decent approximation I think.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline blatz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 09:31:16 AM »
cool - thanks guys.  I used my scale which is only accurate to one gram and tried to be as careful as possible. 

Mash pH for Friday's brew was 5.51 at room temp (versus 5.3 calculated/anticipated), so it appears I may have been a little heavy handed on the lime but not by too much.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline morticaixavier

• Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 09:41:27 AM »
cool - thanks guys.  I used my scale which is only accurate to one gram and tried to be as careful as possible. 

Mash pH for Friday's brew was 5.51 at room temp (versus 5.3 calculated/anticipated), so it appears I may have been a little heavy handed on the lime but not by too much.

I think you might have been a little light handed with the lime. Lime should increae PH

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 09:51:33 AM »
Another way to do it is to weigh a level cup, which is 48 tsp, so you just divide the weight by 48.  It gives a decent approximation I think.
This was going to be my suggestion.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline blatz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 10:01:13 AM »

I think you might have been a little light handed with the lime. Lime should increae PH

Right and the pH was higher than what I calculated so I used too much.  Guess I don't follow

Offline morticaixavier

• Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 12:06:21 PM »

Right and the pH was higher than what I calculated so I used too much.  Guess I don't follow

well you see first you have to take into account that I am a dumba$$ that doesn't always read what is actually written on the page. right 5.51 is indeed higher. I read it as 5.1 ::)

Offline narvin

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Baltimore
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2011, 02:04:43 PM »

Did you check your mash pH before you added the lime?  Bru'n water's pH prediction for my latest stout was low (5.2 vs 5.5 measured).
Please do not reply if your an evil alien!
Thanks
Chris S.

Offline blatz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 02:09:29 PM »

Did you check your mash pH before you added the lime?  Bru'n water's pH prediction for my latest stout was low (5.2 vs 5.5 measured).

i did not - I switched up and brewed an IPA rather than the porter (will be doing that next batch) i mentioned to you  in another thread - started from scratch with RO and added all my salts to the mash during mash-in.

Offline hokerer

• Manassas, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 08:39:59 AM »
well you see first you have to take into account that I am a dumba$$ that doesn't always read what is actually written on the page. right 5.51 is indeed higher. I read it as 5.1 ::)

Don't feel too bad, I read it the exact same way at first glance.  Had to go back and look a few more times. 

I just blame it on the two values being written with different numbers of decimal places :)
Joe

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 01:46:29 PM »
For measuring small amounts of salts and lime for water softening I picked up a 100x0.01g digital scale on Amazon for about $10. It's accurate to about +/-0.05g, from my experience.

Also, wear gloves and goggles while handling. That stuff is pretty caustic.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline blatz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 02:12:33 PM »
For measuring small amounts of salts and lime for water softening I picked up a 100x0.01g digital scale on Amazon for about $10. It's accurate to about +/-0.05g, from my experience.

Also, wear gloves and goggles while handling. That stuff is pretty caustic.

cool - thanks - what model did you get? sounds like a winner.